Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » IE bug or APEX bug? (10.2.0.1,apex 3.1)
IE bug or APEX bug? [message #353825] Wed, 15 October 2008 04:50 Go to next message
pmapc
hi everybody,

I have a heavy page in my application which takes around 1 min to load and show the result, let me call this page page 30, the application's users may encounter a bad problem with this page while they are using Internet Explorer, when they accidentally or deliberately click twice or more on this page before the other instances of this page complete and show their results, this cause the their windows be locked and need to end task this windows.I found out these pages can complete their tasks in sensible time by monitoring the database but in client side they cause problem. This problem is not exist in Fire Fox because FF complete pages in the order they opened. I don't know is it a apex bug or IE bug or maybe there is something wrong in my application?

have anybody experienced the same situation?
any idea?

Thanks,

Re: IE bug or APEX bug? [message #353941 is a reply to message #353825] Wed, 15 October 2008 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carlback
Hello,

I don't think it's a bug in IE or APEX, your users are trying to submit an incompletely loaded page , so not all the form items and you can almost guarantee inconsistent reports and errors.

Now to fix the issue you have now in the page add this to the Page HTML Body Attribute

style="display:none;" onload="this.style.display=''"

That will hide all the page content till the page is fully loaded in both browsers.

Now the real problem and what you should really be looking at fixing is why you have a page that takes 1 minute to load. In today's day and age that is pretty unacceptable.

Is the page weight really that heavy?
Are your queries slow?

APEX itself has little overhead on page load time, it is almost always a query that needs to be tuned or your outputting a page that has a huge amount of page weight , images or HTML etc.

You should run your page in debug mode and see where the slowdowns are and start fixing.

Regards,
Carl
Re: IE bug or APEX bug? [message #353983 is a reply to message #353941] Thu, 16 October 2008 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pmapc
Hi, thanks for your reply,

I used the code but see no difference.
This page is the download page to download some heavy PDF documents from the file system (not database) using a java stored procedure, I tried to use all performance tips to improve the speed of this page, now the download time is acceptable for users but this issue is really an annoying problem for application users.

I even tested the page with just a long 'for' loop to be sure about is it a mistake in my page code or not, and saw the same behavior like my code in page.

any idea to overcome the problem?
FYI: this page only have 3 hidden items.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 October 2008 00:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: IE bug or APEX bug? [message #354138 is a reply to message #353983] Thu, 16 October 2008 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carlback
Hello,

Oh then this is a slightly different issue.

So what I think you have , since you haven't given an exact description on what your doing, is you have is an APEX page that a user clicks the button and you download a PDF. But because it's a big PDF people get anxious and click the button again which messes stuff up?

If so you can do two things,

one you can use a bit of javascript to hide the body of the page before starting the PDF download
or
two fire the download into a popup window and leave the main window alone or redirect it to a different page.

Also since you know the PDF's are large and take a bit you should just drop a bit of help text on the page for your users that says it's a big download and it might take a second and not to click twice. There are plenty of sites that do something like this.

If this isn't what's happening you need to post a step by step description of what the user is doing and what the expected result is. Or better yet an example on apex.oracle.com

Regards,
Carl
Re: IE bug or APEX bug? [message #354370 is a reply to message #354138] Sat, 18 October 2008 03:57 Go to previous message
pmapc
Thanks carlback, what you have described is exactly my problem.
there is a page with many download links, these links will open in new windows, in the target page there are some computation at first to check user permissions and then the open and save window will appear for user for downloading the document.

if there were for example 10 pages with 10 different session ids and user click on the download links at the same time he can download the documents without any problem, this state exists just when in the one session user clicks on download links before the first instance finish its job.

these ways you have described to overcome the problem are good and I already think of them, but these ways do not convince the customer, and I was wondering isn't there any other way for this issue?

Regards,
Previous Topic: Reload Page With A Specific Record
Next Topic: APEX Patch download
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:40:51 CDT 2024