Home » Server Options » Replication » Database links
Database links [message #366511] Wed, 23 February 2000 11:05 Go to next message
Kevin
I have 3 databases (each running Oracle server 7.3.4) on 2 UNIX servers and an NT server. I can set up database links between the 2 UNIX servers and links that allow the NT sever to 'see' each of the UNIX boxes. I'm running into unexpected difficulty in creating a link that will allow the UNIX severs to 'see' the NT box.
I can connect to each machine using enterprise manager so I'm fairly certain that the tnsnames.ora file on each of the servers is accurate (but then again I am having this problem). Has anyone run into a problem such as this?
Maybe I've looked at this so much, that I'm overlooking something simple. Any thoughts as to where to look or how to troubleshoot would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Re: Database links - a little more information [message #366512 is a reply to message #366511] Wed, 23 February 2000 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin
I've been running a few tests and I've come up with some more information (no solution yet, but perhaps this will help someone identify this as a problem they once had).
I can execute tnsping from each of the UNIX servers and it will find the NT server. However, when I try to execute tnsping from the NT server to either of our UNIX servers, I get an error, TNS-12541 no listener.
Now, I'm not so sure what this mesage really means. I was sure that I have a listener running on each of the machines. After all, I can run Oracle's Enterprise manager from any desktop or server and connect to any of the servers using the entry found in tnsnames.ora. I don't see how I could connect to the database on the NT server unless there was a listener up and running. Maybe the TNS-12541 covers more than just a 'missing listener'.
Anyway, I hope this sounds familar to someone and that they have an answer.

Once again, thanks.
Re: Database links - some success, but still a problem with the links [message #366513 is a reply to message #366512] Thu, 24 February 2000 11:00 Go to previous message
Kevin
OK, things are looking up a bit (a small bit). I've corrected the listener.ora on the NT server I and can now tnsping both UNIX servers from the NT server (something that was failing in the last note).
I tried to create a DB link one the UNIX server to 'see' the box. The link appears to be created, but fails testing. The open_links parameter in the init.ora file has been set so that we can have up to 8 links (so that shouldn't be causing the problem).

If anyone recognizes what might be going wrong, please post a reply.

In the meantime, back to the trace reports (maybe I can determine is the link is actaully getting created or not?)
Previous Topic: How Many DBLINKS?
Next Topic: error refreshing snapshots from code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:26:15 CDT 2024