Home » Developer & Programmer » JDeveloper, Java & XML » Cannot get BIG5 from Oracle Server
Cannot get BIG5 from Oracle Server [message #366571] Fri, 12 March 1999 19:58
Andrew
I get a problem of retrieving chinese (BIG5) character string from the oracle database server 8.0 via the jdbc-oracleThin dirver or jdbc-oracleOCI driver. Where this application program is running on the
same machine of oracle server. the machine is SUN sparc and the OS is Solaris 7 (English version).

I talk to the oracle support in Hong Kong and do some further testing.
the result is that if this application program is running in a chinese OS (e.g., Window NT chinese version), there is no problem to get the
chinese character string from the Oracle database. However, if the program is running in the Solaris 7 (English version), the program can get some character string (e.g., "??")from the database but not the
original chinese even thought the database can perfactly store the original chinese character string(I can see it via SQLPluse).

In the testing, if I pass the chinese character string to the program and then get the character string back immediatedly, it will be no problem no matter the program is running in a chinese or English OS.
However, if I pass the chinese character string to the program and then the string is stored in the oracle database via jdbcThin Driver. After that, the program retreive the string back from the database, and pass
it to the client machine. In this situation, if the program is running in the Chinese OS there will be no problem. But become a problem to get the original chinese character string if the program is running in the English OS.

Problem Situation
Client Machine <--> SUN Machine
(sent BIG5 string) (program and Oracle)
in Chinese OS in English OS

OK Situation
Client Machine<--> Middle Machine<--> SUN Machine
(send BIG5 string) (program) (Oracle)
Chinese OS Chinese OS English OS

I talk to the oracle support that they think the problem is the conversion of the non-ASCII (i.e., BIG5) to Unicode, the character set used internally by Java!

Is there any Unicode conversion setting that I should do in the program as well as in the Solaris 7 OS?

By the oracle suggestion, I have set the parameter in the Solaris OS enviroment as follow.

NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.ZHT16BIG5

If you still need any futher information, please contact me via my e-mail.

Thanks

Andrew
Previous Topic: TRY THIS AND HAVE SOME FUN!!!!!
Next Topic: Help.. How can I execute PL/SQL Procedures from JDBC?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:22:31 CDT 2024