Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Business Intelligence Tools
Business Intelligence Tools [message #366797] Wed, 02 August 2000 10:36 Go to next message
Marina Kerbel
Hello,
I was asked to evaluate Business Intelligence tools for a company that develops utility software packages. The company considers replacing currently used Discoverer because of its high cost and inability dynamically redisplay data on the web site.

The selected tool should work well with an Oracle Data Warehouse, be web-enabled and provide easy configuration for different clients. The vendors under consideration are Brio Technology, Business Objects, Cognos and Informatica.

In addition to the above criteria, the following factors are used in evaluation:
- Cost and licensing
- Transportability of updates (preferably in a form of text file that could be e-mailed to the clients)
- MS-Office Integration
- Login security
- Automated (dynamic) redisplay of new data on the web site as soon as the warehouse data is changed

If you have any information or experience working with query/reporting tools from the above vendors, I would greatly appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

Marina
Re: Business Intelligence Tools [message #366817 is a reply to message #366797] Wed, 20 September 2000 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M. Cheney
Have you looked at Discoverer 3i? I've only briefly worked with 3i, but I understand that the static web display was something they were working on upgrading. All my experience is with Discoverer, and I'm interested in finding out if anyone else that's worked with Discoverer has experience in those other tools - and what they think, too.
Re: Business Intelligence Tools [message #366839 is a reply to message #366797] Fri, 20 October 2000 18:25 Go to previous message
Tom Huann
I, too was asking to evaluate these tools for my company except I have been using these tools for years now. In short, I recommend Cognos. The evidence is the reason that of all the companies I worked before all ends up using cognos with Oracle native connection. Cost and flexibility like secuity, integration, interface, are just great, and of course I believe it can be better. Further, I think most of the high-end developers/architects may agree with me for its flexibilitis in customization, which can be build to fit into various company cultures.

Let me know if you need further details.

Tom
Previous Topic: How do I perform a calculation on subtotals and total?
Next Topic: Oracle Report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:23:43 CDT 2024