Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Db writer Process
Db writer Process [message #378925] Fri, 02 January 2009 12:37 Go to next message
dbcop
Env: AIX Database Version:9.2.0.7

I have been newly assigned to handle a production server with 4 TB data . I found there are 12 DB writer processes running but I need to know if the number is appropriately identified or can we reduce it. Please let me know what are the factors that I should consider to determine it. Asynch IO also were not of good help so I understand configuring mutliple DBws is required but to an extent of 12 seems to be on the higher side although I know 20 DBws r supported (probably in 10 g).
Total no of CPU running is 9 all dedicated.

I hv the statspack report so if anybody wants I can share it.
Top five events include DB file sequential read,Log File Sync,Buffer Busy wait to mention few.

Thanks
Re: Db writer Process [message #378926 is a reply to message #378925] Fri, 02 January 2009 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Why did you focus on DB Writer process as opposed to any of the other gazillion of parts of Oracle which also impact performance?

What problem are you really trying to solve?

How would an independent observer conclude (base upon which metric & what value) that "your problem" has been solved?

Re: Db writer Process [message #378930 is a reply to message #378925] Fri, 02 January 2009 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
DB file sequential read -> read -> not DB Writer
Log File Sync -> Wait for log -> LGWR -> no DB Writer
Buffer Busy wait -> Users wait to access buffer blocks -> not DB Writer

Forget DB Writer and start reading spdoc.txt and Database Performance Tuning Guide.

Regards
Michel
Re: Db writer Process [message #378948 is a reply to message #378925] Sat, 03 January 2009 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbcop
Gentleman

I completely agree with you that the top events doesn't indicate for DB writer process I am aware of it.

Pls understand I am looking all the other factors for performance improvement it is not only the DB writer that I am looking into.

I understand it is difficult for you to predict solution I am not expecting that either.

In an attenmpt to reduce process overehead on the server I was looking into the DBwr process .

I will take care of all the other factors (top events) I am quite capable of doing that.

My question was if it were you to determine the apropriate number of DBwr what are things that you will consider before defining the number in a 4 TB database? what are the metrics data that you should look into ?

Anyways Thanks to all who replied.
Re: Db writer Process [message #378949 is a reply to message #378925] Sat, 03 January 2009 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbcop
Even though I need to reduce process overhead on the server but I cannot switch to shared server mode . It is not possibe in the env we are working have analyzed it as well.
Re: Db writer Process [message #378979 is a reply to message #378949] Sat, 03 January 2009 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
This article in two parts will be good read for you.

http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2007/08/10/learn-how-to-obliterate-processor-caches-configure-lots-and-lots-of-dbwr-processes/

http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2007/08/17/over-configuring-dbwr-processes-part-ii/
Re: Db writer Process [message #378991 is a reply to message #378925] Sat, 03 January 2009 10:16 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/84315/74940/
which have you tried & what were the results

How would an independent observer conclude (base upon which metric & what value) that "your problem" has been solved?

[Updated on: Sat, 03 January 2009 13:24]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Performance issue in procedure due to cursors
Next Topic: Performance problem (Merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 19:23:10 CDT 2024