Home » Infrastructure » Unix » how not to use unix2dos
how not to use unix2dos [message #41816] Tue, 04 February 2003 02:40 Go to next message
Tong Siew Pui
I want to use PL/SQL (from unix) and output an ascii text file to an NT machine directly, no ftp, no nothing, using nfs.
I already tried this, no pbm.

The file need to be viewed as any normal text file,
on a notepad, or opened in Excel, or any other application.

The pbm is, there is this special character at the end of each line (I think it is a ^M).
I know I can use unix2dos to change/modify the file to remove the special character, so that everything look OK on a notepad.

But, is there anyway that I can achive the same by doing it in one step, by using 'UTL_FILE' alone, without using "unix2dos" or any other additiional steps ??

The text output program is to be a monthly automatic process. I do not wish to call an external program to perform the stripping job.

thanks.
Re: how not to use unix2dos [message #41818 is a reply to message #41816] Tue, 04 February 2003 04:14 Go to previous message
Adrian Billington
You can't use UTL_FILE to write to an NT machine from your UNIX machine or vice versa - UTL_FILE is server-side only. You'd have to write to the UNIX machine then FTP the output over to your NT machine. But then again, I'd be interested to know how you are getting these ^M characters in your output files - and also how you are getting the file on NT currently.

Regards

Adrian
Previous Topic: Sending attachment and body in Email
Next Topic: Re: Oracle 8i installation on SCO Unixware 7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:55:43 CDT 2024