Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Bitmap & Normal Index for same column - Oracle (Oracle 9i)
Bitmap & Normal Index for same column - Oracle [message #418604] Mon, 17 August 2009 11:16 Go to next message
nocturnal
Hello,

Is it possible to create 2 indexes 1 Bitmap & 1 Normal for same column in Oracle table.

Table is a part of oracle data warehouse and Bitmaps will be disabled during data loading. if i build a normal index on one of the column this will improve my join conditions and job should take less time to complete. This index can be then disable before rebuilding Bitmap on same column.

Please guide as i haven't tried this before.
Re: Bitmap & Normal Index for same column - Oracle [message #418605 is a reply to message #418604] Mon, 17 August 2009 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Is it possible to create 2 indexes 1 Bitmap & 1 Normal for same column in Oracle table.

No.

Why do you need the "normal" index.

Regards
Michel
Re: Bitmap & Normal Index for same column - Oracle [message #418630 is a reply to message #418605] Mon, 17 August 2009 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Are users using the table whilst you are loading? If so, then you need to find another way to load large volumes of data without impacting users. One such way might be to load a copy of the table and then use synonyms to redirect users to the new table when it is loaded.

If you just want to use the index whilst loading, you need to reevaluate your load. You shouldn't need to use an index to load data - except possibly the PK. If you need the index to load the table then you are probably doing something wrong.

Ross Leishman
Re: Bitmap & Normal Index for same column - Oracle [message #419951 is a reply to message #418604] Wed, 26 August 2009 05:04 Go to previous message
Nirnay Jaiswal
Its not possible to have two indexes on the same set of columns at the same time. If feasible you can create the concatenated normal index for your purpose.
Previous Topic: Insert performance with index rebuild
Next Topic: How to change SYS password?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 07:44:36 CDT 2024