Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Tune the code without autotrace+ dictionary - fed up with DBA advice (merged 3) (Oracle 9i)
Tune the code without autotrace+ dictionary - fed up with DBA advice (merged 3) [message #429639] Wed, 04 November 2009 21:18 Go to next message
Richard2009
Hi ,

Our DBAs are not providing access to view the explain using autotrace and select any dictionary access to development database for tuning the application. I believe most of the Oracle experts recommends even the oracle developer should have access to view explain and dictionary tables access such as v$sql , v$sqlare and so on as far as the development database is concerned. I have asked them the reason for N times and there were no response from their side.

Please share your expertise and guide me on how to talk those fungus DBAs. Any link or documentation on this would be much appreciated so that I can forward the same to my management.

Re: Tune the code without autotrace+ dictionary - fed up with DBA advice (merged 3) [message #429644 is a reply to message #429639] Wed, 04 November 2009 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
"select any dictionary" gives you access to some passwords (hashed value or clear text).
There is no reason to not give you access to autotrace, especially in development database.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 04 November 2009 23:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tune the code without autotrace+ dictionary - fed up with DBA advice (merged 3) [message #429792 is a reply to message #429644] Thu, 05 November 2009 16:48 Go to previous message
Kevin Meade
Agreed, it is a development database, there should be few restrictions. My suggestion is to use your managment chain and start complaining. Make a case for why not having this access is causing problems for you.

Just remember, there may be legitimate security concerns you might have to address. But then again, these concerns are rarely related to the privilegs you get. They are usually related to data.

For example:

Are you test databases created by refreshing them from production data?

If so, do these database have what is known in the industry as PII (Personnally Identifiable Information (like Crediate Card numbers, SSNs, birthdatea/addresses/phone numbers))?

If so do you outsource?

What keeps your outsourced partners locally and overseas from ripping off this data and using it for nefarious purposes?

It is my experience that most companies do not really have a security group that manages database security correctly. They keep falling back to "credentials and privileges" as the answer when in fact controling these though important is really a mistake if this is the primary focus of your security. You get a false sense of saftey when in fact your data is at high risk.

Good luck, Kevin
Previous Topic: Buffer Catche
Next Topic: How to reduce CPU Utilization
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 04:02:32 CDT 2024