Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Cost of a Rollback (Oracle 10.2.0.4, Windows 2003 server)
Cost of a Rollback [message #434926] Fri, 11 December 2009 13:00 Go to next message
Arokh
First off I hope this is in the correct place.

I've run into an application that has a safety mechanism built into the core of the application that if an explicit commit isn't seen it automatically issues a rollback command. On the surface this sounds ok, and my quandry is it is performing this on select statements as well.

So my question is what is the performance cost of issuing rollback statements on select queries?

I've tried to setup some traces to justify or prove that there is some cost but not having much success.

Thanks for your time and consideration
Re: Cost of a Rollback [message #434927 is a reply to message #434926] Fri, 11 December 2009 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>So my question is what is the performance cost of issuing rollback statements on select queries?
There is nothing to ROLLBACK, so I would not worry about it.
Re: Cost of a Rollback [message #434928 is a reply to message #434926] Fri, 11 December 2009 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Actually commit and rollback takes internal resources and put others that usefully needs these resources in wait state when it could have them immediately. So if many sessions do the same thing at (about) the same time they will have to wait even if there is nothing (or very few) to do.

The prime directive to optimize an application is: never do useless thing.

Regards
Michel
Re: Cost of a Rollback [message #434933 is a reply to message #434926] Fri, 11 December 2009 13:48 Go to previous message
Arokh
Appreciate the input, thank you!
Previous Topic: Query to be restructured for performance gain
Next Topic: grants running extemely slow
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 06:42:34 CDT 2024