Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Index is not used after running dbms_stats.gather_table_stats (Oracle Database 10g in Sun Solaris 64bit)
Index is not used after running dbms_stats.gather_table_stats [message #442297] Sat, 06 February 2010 11:19 Go to next message
katripon
I have run dbms_stats.gather_table_stats for a tble.
After that Index is not used.
But, the is used if I drop the index and then create it after running gather_table_stat. Even rebuilding the index after gather_table_stats does not use index.
I have 20 million rows in the table and the indexed column has 4 types of distinct values. The indexed column used in the where clause has about 7000 rows.
What is the cause of not using Index after running gather_table_stat and of not using by rebuilding index but of using Index by droping and creating it. How can I run gather table stat so that it can use index?

Please help me.

BR// Ripon
Re: Index is not used after running dbms_stats.gather_table_stats [message #442298 is a reply to message #442297] Sat, 06 February 2010 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/84315/136107/

Please actually READ the Performance STICKY thread that you should have read BEFORE posting!
Re: Index is not used after running dbms_stats.gather_table_stats [message #442312 is a reply to message #442298] Sat, 06 February 2010 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
entekeralam
Is it B-TREE or BITMAP index? As it has only 4 distinct values bitmap index will be better.

What is the elapsed time difference between using index and not using index?
Re: Index is not used after running dbms_stats.gather_table_stats [message #442400 is a reply to message #442312] Sun, 07 February 2010 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
katripon
Hello entekeralam,
Thanks for your reply.
It is B-tree Index. I also created bitmap index, but index is not used in that case also.
Using Index elapsed time reduces 5/6 times than full table scan.

Re: Index is not used after running dbms_stats.gather_table_stats [message #442404 is a reply to message #442400] Sun, 07 February 2010 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Is your WHERE clause using BIND variables?
e.g. WHERE col = :val

Or is it using constant values?
e.g. WHERE col = 'val'

If there are 4 distinct values out of 20M rows, then at least ONE of those values is not selective (i.e. millions of matching rows). However you claim that at least one of the values IS selective (7000 matching rows).

If you use bind variables, Oracle cannot know whether you are selecting one of the selective values or one of the non-selective values, so it just picks a plan that it thinks will be best for all values. Oracle can also peek at the bind variable value before it creates a plan - but lets not go there just yet.

If you use a constant value, Oracle can optimise accordingly. Selective values can use an index, non-selective values can perform a full scan.

Ross Leishman
Re: Index is not used after running dbms_stats.gather_table_stats [message #442439 is a reply to message #442297] Mon, 08 February 2010 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael_bialik
Try using values and gathering histograms for the involved columns.

Re: Index is not used after running dbms_stats.gather_table_stats [message #442496 is a reply to message #442439] Mon, 08 February 2010 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
entekeralam
Try gather stats with different method_opt value.

If default is 'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE AUTO' then gather stats with 'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE 1'. ( delete stats first)

To check the default,

select dbms_stats.get_param('METHOD_OPT') from dual;
Re: Index is not used after running dbms_stats.gather_table_stats [message #442616 is a reply to message #442496] Tue, 09 February 2010 07:51 Go to previous message
raselvista

entekeralam wrote on Mon, 08 February 2010 09:35
Try gather stats with different method_opt value.

If default is 'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE AUTO' then gather stats with 'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE 1'. ( delete stats first)

To check the default,

select dbms_stats.get_param('METHOD_OPT') from dual;

hi,

can you give me steps to change METHOD_OPT?
Previous Topic: Long run time of query with Order by clause
Next Topic: Performance Pruning on fact table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 13:59:11 CDT 2024