Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Updating a huge table of size 750Gb (Oracle 10g, Linux)
Updating a huge table of size 750Gb [message #453618] Fri, 30 April 2010 00:53 Go to next message
nawasthi
I have a huge table(size 750 GB) named HP_CLMS comprising of billions of records. Now what i would like to do is update values of some of the fields of HP_CLMS table using values from table MASTER(comprising of some thousands of records).

Note that only those values will be updated in HP_CLMS whose value match with that of the MASTER. Less than 20% of records in the table HP_CLMS will be updated with this operation.

I donot have flexibility of such huge space to populate a separate table (which will be around 750GB again) using those two tables. By that what i am trying to say that i need to perform an update/merge operation on the huge HP_CLMS table itself.

What is the best and fastest way to update that HP_CLMS table??

with regards

Re: Updating a huge table of size 750Gb [message #453621 is a reply to message #453618] Fri, 30 April 2010 00:57 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
What is the best and fastest way to update that HP_CLMS table??

Maybe an UPDATE statement?

If you want to do it in chunks, read AskTom's Spawn Jobs from a Procedure that run in parallel (or upgrade in 11.2 and use the DBMS_PARALLEL_EXECUTE package).

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: alter table to add list partition
Next Topic: execution time versus plan cost
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 08:47:31 CDT 2024