Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Load text data into database table with Apex (Apex 3.2)
Load text data into database table with Apex [message #467192] Thu, 22 July 2010 10:27 Go to next message
BBMamun
Hi I need to load text data into Oracle database tables with Apex. Is there any way to do that? I am basically a Oracle Form developer. I have done that very easily in forms. Now I have been gradually moving to apex development. Now in one of my developments I need to read text data with specific data format and insert data in the corresponding table. Please if any help is there have a post here.

Regards

Hasan Al Mamun
Programmer
Bangladesh Bank
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Re: Load text data into database table with Apex [message #468547 is a reply to message #467192] Fri, 30 July 2010 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr.s.raghunathan
how about utilities available in the apex home page with data load/unload
Re: Load text data into database table with Apex [message #486972 is a reply to message #468547] Tue, 21 December 2010 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roderic
What about data workshop at utilities?

Its easy to load information by this way. It allows you to load from text file or from a spreadsheet.

Try it.
Re: Load text data into database table with Apex [message #486983 is a reply to message #486972] Tue, 21 December 2010 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BBMamun
Hi Roderic, thanks for the reply. I have seen the Utilities, if you notice that this facility is for developer/admin users only and at the development environment, not for the end users at runtime environment. My requirement is, I want to provide an interface/page to the end users. Usres will browse the required file with required format and select the file, where each line represents a record of a table. After end user selects the file the system will go through the entire file and insert each record into the database table. Remember not upload the file itself, only the record of the file will be inserted. Please notify any idea.

Hasan Al Mamun
Programmer
Bangladesh Bank
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Re: Load text data into database table with Apex [message #487190 is a reply to message #486983] Thu, 23 December 2010 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roderic
Ok BBMamun,

Im with the same topic in my application and after my investigations I found this link: oraexplorer.com/2007/11/apex-to-upload-text-file-and-write-into/ you can check it.

You have to create a new page with a browser item and follow the configuration.

Hope I helped
Re: Load text data into database table with Apex [message #487275 is a reply to message #487190] Fri, 24 December 2010 09:24 Go to previous message
BBMamun
Hi Thanks for the link. I have checked the solution. I think it will just work. But if you go farther and like to implement in a commercial solution it should offer much more than that. The process here is you have to upload the file into your apex repository first, then you call the file from wwv_flow_files table and do some very difficult things to insert into the table. OK. I accept that. But what about error handling?? Say there is some errors in the data in the file you uploaded. Errors may unique key constraint error, referential integrity constraint errors, data format error and so on..Now if you want to generate an error file containing error messages so that the data insertion is not hampered untill the full file is read. There is no such solution here. Ok if this the solution Oracle Apex has to offer then I am shocked!! I think Oracle is smarter than that. Coz I have handled the situation in One of my Forms 6i Application five years ago. Oracle Apex might have some other solution to handle this.

Regards

Hasan Al Mamun
Programmer
Bangladesh Bank
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Previous Topic: Apex 4.0 Installation On Oracle 10g Enterprise Edition Rel 2
Next Topic: NOT COMPATIBLE Error in Install new project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:59:46 CDT 2024