Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » low cost and high cpu cost
low cost and high cpu cost [message #467324] Fri, 23 July 2010 06:00 Go to next message
prashant_ora
Hi,

I am facing one performance issue, in which the query cost is very low compare to cpu cost and as a result the cpu always show the high graph.

I am also attaching the gv$sql and gv$sql_plan data of this query.

This is the query:

SELECT PTLS.ITEMTYPE , PTLS.ITEMID , PTLS.STAGEID, TS.USERID, SUM(PREVIOUSHOURS) AS PREVIOUSHOURS, MIN(STARTDATE) AS STARTDATE, MAX(STARTDATE) AS ENDDATE FROM PROJECTTIMELOGSSTAGE PTLS, PROJECTTIMESHEETITEM PTSI, TIMESHEET TS WHERE PTLS.PROJECTID = :B2 AND TS.TIMESHEETID = PTSI.TIMESHEETID AND TS.USERID = :B1 AND PTSI.TIMESHEETID = PTLS.TIMESHEETID AND PTSI.ITEMTYPE = PTLS.ITEMTYPE AND PTSI.ITEMID = PTLS.ITEMID AND (PTSI.ISPWFITEM = 'N' OR PTSI.ISPWFITEM IS NULL) AND PTLS.ITEMTYPE NOT IN ('OtherTsk','NewTsk','Loc','Glb') AND (PTLS.ITEMTYPE, PTLS.ITEMID ) IN (SELECT ITEMTYPE, ITEMID FROM PROJECTTIMELOGSSTAGE PTLS1 WHERE PTLS1.PROJECTID = :B2 AND PTLS1.TIMESHEETID = :B3 ) GROUP BY PTLS.ITEMTYPE, PTLS.ITEMID, PTLS.STAGEID, TS.USERID
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467328 is a reply to message #467324] Fri, 23 July 2010 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
1) Please read the orafaq forum guide and post accordingly, use code tags.
2) When posting an explain plan do the following in sqlplus:
EXPLAIN PLAN FOR <your query here>;
SELECT * FROM table(dbms_xplan.display);

Copy and paste the output here, using code tags to preserve the format.
Most people won't download attachments.
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467364 is a reply to message #467328] Fri, 23 July 2010 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prashant_ora
pl find the attached plan.

Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467370 is a reply to message #467328] Fri, 23 July 2010 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prashant_ora
one thing i am getting is the %cpu which i got in explain plan and the value is coming 14 in %cpu while in the v$sql_plan the cpu cost is very much high.I am attaching the data of v$explain_plan.
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467378 is a reply to message #467370] Fri, 23 July 2010 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Did you not bother to read my post?
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467390 is a reply to message #467378] Fri, 23 July 2010 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prashant_ora
I did the same thing,but when i pest the explain plan info in this box, formating was changed, thats why i attached as a gif file.
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467393 is a reply to message #467390] Fri, 23 July 2010 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
<code tags> work for me.
It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

SQL> SELECT * FROM table(dbms_xplan.display);

PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plan hash value: 3956160932

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Id  | Operation	  | Name | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)| Time	 |
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT  |	 |    18 |   846 |     3   (0)| 00:00:01 |
|*  1 |  TABLE ACCESS FULL| EMP  |    18 |   846 |     3   (0)| 00:00:01 |

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):
---------------------------------------------------

PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - filter("DEPTNO"<100)

13 rows selected.

Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467400 is a reply to message #467364] Fri, 23 July 2010 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prashant_ora
This is the info i got from SELECT * FROM table(dbms_xplan.display) query,but the cost is showing here is 14%cpu while the cpu cost in v$sql_plan is very much high, that info I attached as a gif file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                     
| Id  | Operation                       | Name                 | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)|                                     
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                     
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT                |                      |     1 |    90 |    14  (15)|                                     
|   1 |  HASH GROUP BY                  |                      |     1 |    90 |    14  (15)|                                     
|   2 |   NESTED LOOPS                  |                      |     1 |    90 |    13   (8)|                                     
|   3 |    NESTED LOOPS                 |                      |     1 |    79 |    11  (10)|                                     
|   4 |     NESTED LOOPS                |                      |     1 |    60 |     8  (13)|                                     
|   5 |      SORT UNIQUE                |                      |     1 |    22 |     4   (0)|                                     
|*  6 |       INDEX RANGE SCAN          | PK_PRJ_TIMELOG_STAGE |     1 |    22 |     4   (0)|                                     
|*  7 |      TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID| PROJECTTIMELOGSSTAGE |     1 |    38 |     4   (0)|                                     
|*  8 |       INDEX RANGE SCAN          | TEMP003              |     1 |       |     3   (0)|                                     
|*  9 |     TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID | PROJECTTIMESHEETITEM |     1 |    19 |     3   (0)|                                     
|* 10 |      INDEX RANGE SCAN           | PROJTSI_IDX3         |     1 |       |     2   (0)|                                     
|* 11 |    INDEX RANGE SCAN             | TIMESHEET_IDX2       |     1 |    11 |     2   (0)|                                     

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):                                                                               
---------------------------------------------------                                                                               

6 - access("PTLS1"."TIMESHEETID"=TO_NUMBER(:B3) AND                                                                            
              "PTLS1"."PROJECTID"=TO_NUMBER(:B2))                                                                                 
       filter("ITEMTYPE"<>'OtherTsk' AND "ITEMTYPE"<>'NewTsk' AND "ITEMTYPE"<>'Loc'                                               
              AND "ITEMTYPE"<>'Glb')                                                                                              
   7 - filter("PTLS"."PROJECTID"=TO_NUMBER(:B2))                                                                                  
   8 - access("PTLS"."ITEMTYPE"="ITEMTYPE" AND "PTLS"."ITEMID"="ITEMID")                                                          
       filter("PTLS"."ITEMTYPE"<>'OtherTsk' AND "PTLS"."ITEMTYPE"<>'NewTsk' AND                                                   
              "PTLS"."ITEMTYPE"<>'Loc' AND "PTLS"."ITEMTYPE"<>'Glb')                                                              
   9 - filter(("PTSI"."ISPWFITEM"='N' OR "PTSI"."ISPWFITEM" IS NULL) AND                                                          
              "PTSI"."TIMESHEETID"="PTLS"."TIMESHEETID")                                                                          
  10 - access("PTSI"."ITEMTYPE"="PTLS"."ITEMTYPE" AND                                                                             
              "PTSI"."ITEMID"="PTLS"."ITEMID")                                                                                    
       filter("PTSI"."ITEMTYPE"<>'OtherTsk' AND "PTSI"."ITEMTYPE"<>'NewTsk' AND                                                   
              "PTSI"."ITEMTYPE"<>'Loc' AND "PTSI"."ITEMTYPE"<>'Glb')                                                              
  11 - access("TS"."USERID"=TO_NUMBER(:B1) AND                                                                                    
              "TS"."TIMESHEETID"="PTSI"."TIMESHEETID")                                                                            

Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467470 is a reply to message #467400] Sat, 24 July 2010 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
ALWAYS
Post Operating System (OS) name & version for DB server system.
Post results of
SELECT * from v$version;

Just curious - how many CPUs/cores exist in this system?
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467476 is a reply to message #467470] Sat, 24 July 2010 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prashant_ora
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 64bi
PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.4.0 Production
CORE 10.2.0.4.0 Production
TNS for HPUX: Version 10.2.0.4.0 Production
NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.4.0 Production
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467494 is a reply to message #467324] Sat, 24 July 2010 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Here's your SQL formatted - you're welcome.
SELECT ptls.itemtype,
       ptls.itemid,
       ptls.stageid,
       ts.userid,
       SUM(previoushours) AS previoushours,
       MIN(startdate)     AS startdate,
       MAX(startdate)     AS enddate
FROM   projecttimelogsstage ptls,
       projecttimesheetitem ptsi,
       timesheet ts
WHERE  ptls.projectid = :B2
       AND ts.timesheetid = ptsi.timesheetid
       AND ts.userid = :B1
       AND ptsi.timesheetid = ptls.timesheetid
       AND ptsi.itemtype = ptls.itemtype
       AND ptsi.itemid = ptls.itemid
       AND ( ptsi.ispwfitem = 'N'
              OR ptsi.ispwfitem IS NULL )
       AND ptls.itemtype NOT IN ( 'OtherTsk', 'NewTsk', 'Loc', 'Glb' )

AND ( ptls.itemtype, ptls.itemid ) IN (SELECT itemtype,
                                                     itemid
                                              FROM   projecttimelogsstage ptls1
                                              WHERE  ptls1.projectid = :B2
                                                     AND ptls1.timesheetid = :B3
                                             )
GROUP  BY ptls.itemtype,
          ptls.itemid,
          ptls.stageid,
          ts.userid 

That plan actually looks pretty good to me - it is joining on appropriate looking indexes, and doing things in the right order.

How long does it take?
How long do you want it to take?

I suspect one of two things is happening here:

1 - You have badly skewed data, and there is one or more combinations of bind variables that causes thousands of rows to be selected instead of just a few.

2 - The SQL is actually very efficient, but you are executing it thousands of times in a loop. It is appearling in your "bad SQL" list because of the aggregate number of executions, but in reality it is very efficient.

Ross Leishman
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467501 is a reply to message #467494] Sat, 24 July 2010 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prashant_ora
Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually this query took hardly 1 second in each iteration, and in one transaction we call it 50 to 60 times, so totally it will take 60 seconds, but this query we always get in OEM with highest cpu.So my concern how can i reduce the cpu cost.
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467505 is a reply to message #467501] Sun, 25 July 2010 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>So my concern how can i reduce the cpu cost.
>and in one transaction we call it 50 to 60 times,
Call it only once.
What changes between calls?
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467509 is a reply to message #467505] Sun, 25 July 2010 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
If you paste a trace and TKPROF of a session, we can see if there is anything that can be done to optimise this query. See http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14211/sqltrace.htm#i4763

Otherwise, you need a cleverer way to access the data. For example - get it all in one execution.

Ross Leishman
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467513 is a reply to message #467509] Sun, 25 July 2010 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prashant_ora
One thing i want to share that when I quried on the v$sql for this query i got some data like

buffer gets:1194558229
executions:624
fetch:621
CLUSTER_WAIT_TIME:12891689
USER_IO_WAIT_TIME:168651342

Can we reach on some conclusion with this data.

For Trace file first I have to get the bind variable data, because this query call from one procedure and from inside the application.

Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467532 is a reply to message #467513] Sun, 25 July 2010 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
One billion buffer gets for 624 executions - sounds pretty high unless you can explain whey this query should be processing around 300K to 1M rows per execution.

Think I see the problem. You have an index on projecttimelogsstage(itemtype, itemid). Add projectid as a third column on this index, that way the filter at Step 7 wil be added to the Access at Step 8, which I think is probably a non-selective or skewed access.

Ross Leishman
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467539 is a reply to message #467532] Sun, 25 July 2010 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prashant_ora
Thanks,

i will create an index and will let u know. One thing I am not clear that how i can we decide that for this query how much buffer gets is required and also whatever the buffer get we get from v$sql is right or should be reduced or not? Please advice.
Re: low cost and high cpu cost [message #467554 is a reply to message #467539] Sun, 25 July 2010 22:43 Go to previous message
rleishman
Well, whenever Oracle needs a row - either from a table or an index - it must go and get it. It can get it from disk or from the buffer cache.

The number of blocks you read will depend on the type of scan you are performing, but as a general rule if you average more than 3 or 4 buffer gets per Table/Index entry in your Explain Plan per source row, then there is some redundancy that could be eliminated.

In your plan, you have 6 steps that perform Table or Index reads. I am guessing based on the column names in your query - and my own imagination - that each execution should process no more than a hundred or so rows. 6 steps x 100 rows x (say) 4 blocks per step = 2400 blocks (buffers). You have nearly 2M buffer gets per execution, so that's why I think it is a bit high.

Note that this is not a hard-and-fast rule. Your plan might have included a Full Table Scan, which might read and discard a lot of redundant blocks very efficiently.

Ross Leishman
Previous Topic: SETTING PARAMETER
Next Topic: REDO LOG GENERTION
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 01:33:33 CDT 2024