Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » listener_networks parameter and Grid Infrastructure (11.2)
listener_networks parameter and Grid Infrastructure [message #480034] Wed, 20 October 2010 14:37
John Watson
I'm trying to sort out how (or if) to use this parameter. Generally speaking, RAC can do session load balancing and failover on one network, with each node having a single VIP and another three VIPs for the SCAN listeners. Use local_listener to register with the local node listener and remote_listener to register with the SCAN listeners; use DHCP to assign the VIPs, and GNS/DNS for name resolution. Easy. But only on one network.

At first reading, listener_networks looks like an alternative to using local_listener and remote_listener. But going further into it, if I understand it correctly, by using listener_networks, one can point the instances towards several local node listeners (on different NICs) and several sets of SCAN listeners (one set on each of the different networks.) I can see how this might work using static addresses and DNS, but I can't understand how this would relate to use of GNS and DHCP. Also, I can't see how to get the services registered. Buried in the docs is a comment that suggests a service can register on only one network.

I can't find much on metalink, I wondered if anyone had access to any more information? Or had used this parameter?
Previous Topic: RAC to Single Instance
Next Topic: Oracle Dataguard with RAC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:03:20 CDT 2024