Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Copy data's from Transaction database(db1) to Reporting database (db2) (Windows 2000, Oracle 10g)
Copy data's from Transaction database(db1) to Reporting database (db2) [message #483978] Fri, 26 November 2010 02:51 Go to next message
oraranjangmailcom
Hi,

We are copying our transaction tables data into another database for our reporting applications
(say every day midnight refresh will happen).

The Transaction Database has some 30tables.
Existing system is following below points and it is taking 2hours to complete.
1) Truncate data from reporting database (or schema)
2) Direct path Insert into reporting database (or schema) as select * from transaction tables.
3) Rebuild index and Enable constraints.

Note: Each tables data will vary from 30lakhs to 50lakhs.
Dump/import/export is not advised by the client.

I want to cut down the time i.e., below 2hours.
Instead of above method. Can go for a field in each table specifying the time
of each records update/insert operation and then pick the modified records only and
copy into reporting db.

Can I have some comments on this approach ... like merits, demerits,complications ...

Thanks in Advance,

Ranjan.

Re: Copy data's from Transaction database(db1) to Reporting database (db2) [message #483981 is a reply to message #483978] Fri, 26 November 2010 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
What is a lakh? Please post in standard english.

See transportable tablespace.

Regards
Michel
Re: Copy data's from Transaction database(db1) to Reporting database (db2) [message #483982 is a reply to message #483978] Fri, 26 November 2010 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I want to cut down the time i.e., below 2hours.
Instead of above method. Can go for a field in each table specifying the time
of each records update/insert operation and then pick the modified records only and
copy into reporting db.

Can I have some comments on this approach ... like merits, demerits,complications ...

If you envisage this case then better use materialized views or Streams.

Regards
Michel
Re: Copy data's from Transaction database(db1) to Reporting database (db2) [message #483989 is a reply to message #483982] Fri, 26 November 2010 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oraranjangmailcom
sorry about the type error(lakh), I will make sure this will not repeat.

In reporting db, we are inserting data into some 15 another tables(apart from tables in transactional database) and insert is happening after some business logic on data.
Now, my point of concern(scope)is only on these 15tables. Above mentioned 3 steps are being
used to insert data into these 15tables.

Can I have some suggestions on how to improve performance.
can you please elaborate "Streaming".

-Ranjan
Re: Copy data's from Transaction database(db1) to Reporting database (db2) [message #483996 is a reply to message #483989] Fri, 26 November 2010 04:15 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Oracle Streams.
If you have to consolidate data from several databases in the same tables, I think this the feature you have to use.
If data from several databases don't target the same tables, I think materialized views is better and over this transportable tablespace is the best one if you can use it.

Regards
Michel

Previous Topic: Performance issue for distributed transaction (2PC)
Next Topic: SQL - Query Performance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:15:38 CDT 2024