Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. (Oracle 9.2/Solaris)
Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. [message #493004] Fri, 04 February 2011 04:50 Go to next message
Roachcoach
Hey all,

I've had a google for this but not got much useful to me - it may be I'm not using the right phrases however.

I've got a query running a select count (*) over a table. The default plan takes in the order of 15 minutes to return, a hinted plan to use a different index takes 3 minutes to return.

Unfortunately I cant get at the index stats and a few other areas which I suspect may be key here.

When running autotrace against the two queries I see fairly different values as one would expect.

Query

select count (*) from fulfilmentitem bfi where created >= sysdate-30 AND bfi.status = 'FA' AND bfi.fulfilmentmethod = 'D'

Slow run

PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Id  | Operation                    |  Name                    | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT             |                          |     1 |    15 | 33119   (1)|
|   1 |  SORT AGGREGATE              |                          |     1 |    15 |            |
|*  2 |   TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID|    FULFILMENTITEM        | 12525 |   183K| 33119   (1)|
|*  3 |    INDEX RANGE SCAN          | IDX_FULFIL_METHODSTATUS  |   250K|       |  1786   (1)|

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):
---------------------------------------------------

2 - filter("BFI"."CREATED">=SYSDATE@!-30)
   3 - access("BFI"."FULFILMENTMETHOD"='D' AND "BFI"."STATUS"='FA')

15 rows selected.

Statistics
----------------------------------------------------------
          0  recursive calls
          0  db block gets
     176301  consistent gets
     176035  physical reads
        196  redo size
        214  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
        244  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
          2  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
          0  sorts (memory)
          0  sorts (disk)
          1  rows processed

Fast run

PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Id  | Operation                    |  Name              | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT             |                    |     1 |    15 |   107K  (1)|
|   1 |  SORT AGGREGATE              |                    |     1 |    15 |            |
|*  2 |   TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID|    FULFILMENTITEM  | 12525 |   183K|   107K  (1)|
|*  3 |    INDEX RANGE SCAN          | IDX_BFI_CREATED    |  2678K|       | 13526   (1)|

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):
---------------------------------------------------

2 - filter("BFI"."STATUS"='FA' AND "BFI"."FULFILMENTMETHOD"='D')
   3 - access("BFI"."CREATED">=SYSDATE@!-30)

15 rows selected.

Statistics
----------------------------------------------------------
          0  recursive calls
          0  db block gets
     250924  consistent gets
     142429  physical reads
      19476  redo size
        215  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
        244  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
          2  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
          0  sorts (memory)
          0  sorts (disk)
          1  rows processed

IDX_FULFIL_METHODSTATUS is across FULFILMENTMETHOD & STATUS in that order.

IDX_BFI_CREATED is on CREATED and is approx 70% of the size of the other index

The row counts estimated in the explain plan are out, the count(*) comes in at 32.8k rows.

As you will have seen, the fast run shows a pretty significant consistent get increase compared to the slow run and a decent though not dramatic physical read drop.

My uncertainty is around if these changes in consistent get/phys read values would typically be enough to suggest the real time improvements I'm observing or if other (albeit perhaps temporary) factors are involved. It is a prod OLTP environment so the data will be rapidly changing and that may be a factor - again I cant say for sure, which is why I'm asking.

I know it can never be an exact science without intimately knowing the hardware/current loads etc but I also know that there's enough experience on these boards to have a loose handle on if the time shifts between queries are likely (or not) to be reflective of the stat changes or if those differences alone shouldn't (or typically wouldn't account) for it.

In short - I'm thinking about instructing the query to ignore its original plan but am hesitant to do so without being a little more confident that it's not just a timing thing or something other than the change of index approach which may be causing the improvement. Its a pretty good improvement time, however, based exclusively the autotrace stat changes observed I couldn't put my hand on heart say "yup - that change is good, ignore the default index all the time for this job".

I appreciate I don't have all the data which is necessary to even being to expect a firm answer - a steer will do me fine for the time being, I'm not expecting much more than that given the lack of data I'm able to provide.

As always, any assistance gratefully received.
Re: Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. [message #493044 is a reply to message #493004] Fri, 04 February 2011 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
One rock solid recommendation: raise the value of the optimizer_dynamic_sampling parameter, if that hasn't been done already. The 9i default is 1, I would always raise to at least 2 (the 10g/11g default), usually to 4. You would need 4, because your predicate has three columns. I have seen astronomical improvements from this, specially as you think that your statistics may be wrong. I would do it at the session level (or as a hint) then if it works put in the change request to do it for the system.
Re: Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. [message #493045 is a reply to message #493044] Fri, 04 February 2011 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
Cheers John, giving that a try now. I'll post back with any improvements/observations.

(It was 1)
Re: Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. [message #493046 is a reply to message #493045] Fri, 04 February 2011 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
Plan has remained unchanged as has performance. Which I guess makes sense - its original plan does use the more selective index as one would hope.

Perhaps I'm hearing hooves and thought zebras, perhaps it may be as "simple" as its quicker to scan a less selective 11gb index as it is to scan a more selective 16gb index...
Re: Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. [message #493049 is a reply to message #493046] Fri, 04 February 2011 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Any reason why you don't just stick an index on all three columns?
Re: Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. [message #493051 is a reply to message #493049] Fri, 04 February 2011 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
A couple, though none will hold true for long I hope.

*I'm new here, I don't know the data models/other interactions well. I'm wary of inadvertently breaking other things at the expense of fixing this - that would be a VeryBadThing™. Which leads me to my next challenge....

*I lack a dev area to test it properly on, hoping to resolve that one very soon, but that means proving its a good idea is...difficult.
Re: Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. [message #493223 is a reply to message #493004] Sun, 06 February 2011 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hkchital
Note that the expected cost of using the index on CREATED is much higher -- Oracle expects to have to read very many more entries from this index before filtering on FULFILMENTMETHOD and STATUS.

The real "solution" would be to have an index on all three columns together.

However, for the present you could run the execution with Plan Statistics :
select /*+ gather_plan_statistics  index (BFI IDX_FULFIL_METHODSTATUS) */
from fulfilmentitem bfi where created >= sysdate-30 AND bfi.status = 'FA' AND bfi.fulfilmentmethod = 'D'
/
select * from table(dbms_xplan.display_cursor('','','ALLSTATS LAST'));

select /*+ gather_plan_statistics  index (BFI IDX_BFI_CREATED) */
from fulfilmentitem bfi where created >= sysdate-30 AND bfi.status = 'FA' AND bfi.fulfilmentmethod = 'D'
/
select * from table(dbms_xplan.display_cursor('','','ALLSTATS LAST'));

and review the results.

Hemant K Chitale

Re: Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. [message #493297 is a reply to message #493223] Mon, 07 February 2011 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
Oracle is right, at least in the selectivity stakes, CREATED is by far the less selective index. But its also the physically smaller index.

I couldn't get that query to run, came back with
ORA-00904: "DBMS_XPLAN"."DISPLAY_CURSOR": invalid identifier
. It was ok in higher versions though.
Re: Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. [message #493312 is a reply to message #493297] Mon, 07 February 2011 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
display cursor is new in 10g
Re: Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. [message #493319 is a reply to message #493312] Mon, 07 February 2011 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
I did suspect but I thought I saw some references to it, or something like it in 9i via google though I didnt spend long on it reasoning it was a versioning thing most likely and I was seeing spurious/undocumented stuff in google Smile

Thanks Smile
Re: Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. [message #493367 is a reply to message #493297] Mon, 07 February 2011 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hkchital
Ah well. Hopefully you'll be able to test similar behaviour in 10.2 or higher soon.

Hemant K Chitale
Re: Real time speed improvements & autotrace results. [message #493373 is a reply to message #493367] Mon, 07 February 2011 09:43 Go to previous message
Roachcoach
Thanks anyhow Smile

For what its worth, I'm running tests again today utilising both indexes are permutations and it is still consistently quicker to go via the index on created.

I'll post back if there's anything else noteworthy I run across for future reference or if I ever get stats back on the indexes - the best conjecture I can come up with at the moment with the limited data available is the size differences are enough that the difference in selectivity cant make the time gap up.
Previous Topic: Update columns of one table using another table
Next Topic: data caching
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 12:43:17 CDT 2024