Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Big Table data Maintenance (Oracle 10G)
Big Table data Maintenance [message #512168] Fri, 17 June 2011 05:35 Go to next message
saswatic
Hello Everybody,

We have few tables in our production database which are havoc in size and will increase in size in future too so as part of the corrective measures , we have jotted down the below 3 methods to manage the size of those tables :-

1> Partitioning the table and take the export of identified partitions and after that, truncate those partition.

2> Creating history tables and remove not so current data from the original table to history table.

Can you please advice me which one of the above is better and should be implemented?

Thanks in Advance,
Regards
Saswati
Re: Big Table data Maintenance [message #512174 is a reply to message #512168] Fri, 17 June 2011 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Without knowing what your problem is, I don't think it is possible to advise.
But I would say that implementing partitioning is a complex task: you need to be absolutely clear on what you want to achieve, and what the effect will be on your application. Also, it is expensive: an additional cost, on top of enterprise edition. When partitioning is done well, it can deliver huge benefits; if done inappropriately, it may be disastrous. I probably wouldn't use it if the only purpose is stop tables from growing.
Regards, John.
Re: Big Table data Maintenance [message #512177 is a reply to message #512168] Fri, 17 June 2011 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
saswatic wrote on Fri, 17 June 2011 11:35
We have few tables in our production database which are havoc in size

How big is havoc exactly?
Re: Big Table data Maintenance [message #512671 is a reply to message #512177] Tue, 21 June 2011 07:25 Go to previous message
tahpush

Hard to give any good advice based on your post.
But you also have the option to use Oracle Advanced Compression. Probably expensive thou.
Previous Topic: statistics collection
Next Topic: Which index should use ??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 18:36:18 CDT 2024