Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Report Headers and SubHeaders (Oracle Reports 10g, Oracle DB 11g)
Report Headers and SubHeaders [message #519613] Mon, 15 August 2011 12:49 Go to next message
Fisherman
I have a lot of experience developing reports in other packages (Crystal, SQL Server Reporting Services, etc...), but am new to Oracle.

My company recently purchased a package that is capable of automatically printing/caching reports generated by Oracle Reports at specified points in workflows, and so I am trying to design some reports that match the output of previous systems.

I'm having particular difficulty making one of them work the way I need it to. I've put a screenshot of how the report should be laid out (and how I've currently laid it out in Oracle Reports Builder) in the attachment. I'm using Oracle Reports Builder 10g against an 11g database.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

The Header Information in Repeating Frame 1 should be visible on every page of the report. Shipments may cover multiple pages, and I want this section (logo, shipment number, date, carrier) on all of them. The Logo is in a BLOB in the database.

The information in Repeating Frame 2 should be visible on the first page for a shipment, but not on any other pages for the same shipment. Multiple shipments may be printed at a time, so this should only appear at the beginning of the group.

The information in Repeating Frame 3 and the nested Repeating Frame 4 should be visible on every page.

I've tried multiple methods to make this work.

I've tried setting the main frame (Repeating Frame 1) to print on all pages, as well as Repeating Frames 3 & 4, with Repeating Frame 2 set to print only on the first page. This combination only yields the first page of the first shipment - no more.

I've tried removing frames 2, 3 and 4 from frame 1 and making them all independent of one another. This seems to yield a cartesian product-like result with all shipment lines attached to the first page and only frame 1 showing up on subsequent pages.

I've tried moving the "Header" information into the top margin. When I did, I got a "frequency below the group..." type of error for the fields in the margin. I then tried to create summary columns with breaks on pages that I could reference in the margin, but I couldn't get the image (from the BLOB) to output.

I've also been playing a lot with the "Print Object On" property to try to find a combination that works.. no luck so far.

There has to be a way to make this work... can anyone help me?
  • Attachment: Report.JPG
    (Size: 155.95KB, Downloaded 1061 times)
Re: Report Headers and SubHeaders [message #519614 is a reply to message #519613] Mon, 15 August 2011 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
For me, it is difficult to suggest what to do with the existing report.

If possible, try to create a new one from scratch. Copy/paste SELECT statements from this report to a new one and create all queries you need. Then, in Data Model Editor, create groups as needed. If there is more than a single query, you'll have to link them (there's a link tool in the toolbar; otherwise, "Cartesian product" (you mentioned) output can be expected). Once you are satisfied with it, go to Layout Editor, delete everything you find there and let Wizard create a default layout based on Data Model. It will look ugly, but everything will be on its place (i.e. no "wrong frequency" and similar errors).

Let the output be that way (unformatted), run the report and - while in Previewer - change frames' properties (if you displayed the frame itself, click on it. If not, click a field that belongs to a certain frame and then select its "parent" (and repeat the "select parent" as many times as needed, until a desired frame is selected. Or, select it in Object Navigator window (it would help if you choose significant names for frames, instead of default "R1", "M2" etc.). Push F4 to open Property window and ... well, modify properties until you get a desired output.

Once it is done, make the report fancy (i.e. set fields' sizes, headers, paint certain objects etc.).

I heard lot of people complaining about Oracle Reports to be a tool that is difficult to use. I hope you won't give up. Good luck!

[Updated on: Mon, 15 August 2011 13:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Report Headers and SubHeaders [message #519617 is a reply to message #519614] Mon, 15 August 2011 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fisherman
Littlefoot -

Thanks for the reply.

I've managed to get the header into the top margin by modifying the Report Model groups and adding a report block in the margin. Now I have a new problem.

I've created a new Summary column for my shipment number that breaks on "Page" so that the field in the margin will update correctly. Previously, if I only added the shipment number directly from my query to the margin, the report showed the same shipment number on every page... clearly not desirable.

My issue is that now, I get the correct shipment number on pages 2..n, but page 1 doesn't show a shipment number at all! I can only assume that this is because there hasn't been a page break yet, but I can't find a workaround. I've been using an example found in Oracle Document B13895-01, Chapter 17 (sorry, can't post links yet), but it doesn't talk about this issue.

Any thoughts?

On the subject on Oracle's report designer being difficult, I can tell you that, in my experience, it's the most difficult that I've used. I've been through 4 of them. I was designing SSRS reports inside of a day with this kind of complexity. I've been laboring with this one report for a week now.
Re: Report Headers and SubHeaders [message #519765 is a reply to message #519617] Tue, 16 August 2011 14:09 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What is the summary field's "Print object on" property set to? Would "all pages" do any good?
Previous Topic: Report fires everyday for cancelled orders
Next Topic: Reports builder 6.0.8.8.3 print problem with HP 1020 plus printer (merged 2)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:30:00 CDT 2024