Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Query sub-factoring issue (Oracle 10g,Windows XP)
Query sub-factoring issue [message #519805] Wed, 17 August 2011 02:07 Go to next message
a_oracle
Hi All,

I am tuning an existing query and I am using query sub-factoring logic to build the new query..
My query is something like:

with T1 as (select col1,col2....from Table1,table 2...Table3),
T2 as(select col1,col2....from Table4,table 5...Table6)
select * from T1 UNION ALL select * from T2

Now, T1 and T2 st runtime hold nearly 115000 and 129000 data.

I have read that the view created by the query sub-factoring part resides in PGA. So just wanted to ask whether
the amount of data that I have specified is going to effect the performance of the any parallel execution of other queries?
And also is there a certain restriction of the volume of data that we should consider while incorporating the query sub-factoring logic.

Honestly, when i applied this logic in my existing code, the execution time did reduce significantly but I am still doubtful if this
logic would be fine enough.

Please advice.
Re: Query sub-factoring issue [message #519807 is a reply to message #519805] Wed, 17 August 2011 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I have read that the view created by the query sub-factoring part resides in PGA.

This is not necessary. It may or not be materialized.

Regards
Michel
Re: Query sub-factoring issue [message #519810 is a reply to message #519807] Wed, 17 August 2011 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a_oracle
Thanks Michel for the prompt reply.
So, is it fine to go ahead with the logic? And should I use materialize hint in the with clause select statement.
Though in oracle 10g this is not necessary but was wondering if it is ok with the volume of the data that i have
stated and the moreover the query will be executed on daily basis also.
Re: Query sub-factoring issue [message #519814 is a reply to message #519810] Wed, 17 August 2011 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
So, is it fine to go ahead with the logic?

Yes, in my opinion, it turns the query clearer to read, understand and maintain, above all if you add some comment to explain each subquery.

Quote:
And should I use materialize hint in the with clause select statement

No, unless you know it should be materialized each time for any number of rows and any workload, otherwise let the optimizer do its job and estimate if it has or not to materialize the queries.

Regards
Michel
Re: Query sub-factoring issue [message #519815 is a reply to message #519814] Wed, 17 August 2011 02:34 Go to previous message
a_oracle
Thanks again for the advice Smile
Previous Topic: Oracle Instance Related Query
Next Topic: 2 design alternatives, passing natural key as meaningful foreign key
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:30:29 CDT 2024