Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Large temporary files (Oracle 9i, Centos)
Large temporary files [message #527281] Mon, 17 October 2011 06:07 Go to next message
ranjit@buddhaair.com
My database performance suddenly decreases and observed that two locally managed temporary files have grown to 10GB each, one is full and other one is empty. Is it the cause of slow performance? All db users use the same temp file for sorting operations. Why Oracle does not use the second file?
Re: Large temporary files [message #527282 is a reply to message #527281] Mon, 17 October 2011 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hi, there - I would have expected the temporary segment to be striped across both files, certainly of they are growing with autoextend. Is that what is happening? And what query are you running to identify that one file is full and the other empty?
Re: Large temporary files [message #527293 is a reply to message #527282] Mon, 17 October 2011 06:53 Go to previous message
ranjit@buddhaair.com
Dear John,
Thanks for the reply. Yes they are on autoextend mode. I used oracle enterprise manager to see that one file is 99% full and the other one is 0% full. I guess every sorting operations are taking place in the first one so it might be the reason for slow performance, pls advise.
Previous Topic: Suggestions of manipulating 3 crores of data
Next Topic: To verify if a row exists (index range scan)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:19:04 CDT 2024