Home » Other » Community Hangout » A concert, a song and rain in Africa
A concert, a song and rain in Africa [message #536908] Fri, 23 December 2011 17:23 Go to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Yesterday evening, I was on a Christmas concert. It lasted for almost 2 hours and I felt really excited when it finished. Music was performed by a choir (approx. 30 singers), wind orchestra (is that the name? You know, trumpets, saxophones and similar instruments) and another orchestra (where artists play guitars, basses etc.). In between, several soloists sang their songs.

What I liked the most was Andrew Lloyd Webber's Pie Jesu performed by two teenage girls who study solo singing at the Music academy. Whoa, that was something! (Here's a link to You tube, if someone's interested; it is performed by Sissel Kyrkjebø).

Last year, it was the choir who impressed me the most, singing a song written on a dialect by our poet (Fran Galovic) who died during the Great War. Sometimes, when I ride a bike, I pass by a cottage where he wrote some of his most beautiful poems. For you, who wish to hear it, here it is: Pesma z drugoga brega. My sister sings in that choir.

The other day, she sent me a link to this performance: Africa, by Perpetuum Jazzile. Take a look, it is really interesting - rain special effects, and - there are no instruments at all, all the "music" is produced by their mouths. You'll recognize a guy who "plays" drums, another one who "plays" a bass guitar and maybe someone else (I didn't). Perpetuum Jazzile are our neighbours from Slovenia (a country next to Croatia).

If you chose to listen to these songs, I hope you enjoyed, just like me.
Re: A concert, a song and rain in Africa [message #537279 is a reply to message #536908] Tue, 27 December 2011 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Thank you for sharing this!
I will check when I get home. I do not want to "youtube" during work hours.
Re: A concert, a song and rain in Africa [message #537286 is a reply to message #537279] Tue, 27 December 2011 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I realized that I had been living in Africa too long when, on a trip back to Northern Europe, I looked out of the window and saw that it was raining. So I said "Hey, great! It's raining!" and everyone looked at me as though I had something really strange.
Re: A concert, a song and rain in Africa [message #537793 is a reply to message #537286] Sat, 31 December 2011 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
JD, did you finally come home? And ...?

JW, was your African adventure the one when you met Frank Naude? Do you have some interesting pictures to share, perhaps? The nature, people, the way they live and stuff?
Re: A concert, a song and rain in Africa [message #537803 is a reply to message #537793] Sat, 31 December 2011 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Yes, I met FN a few times at the Oracle office in Johannesburg. As for the people (Frank excepted), all I can really say is that the reason we moved back to Europe after more than ten years in Africa was that we wanted to live someplace where one is less likely to get shot.
Re: A concert, a song and rain in Africa [message #537804 is a reply to message #537803] Sat, 31 December 2011 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Is that so? Gee, what a horror!

P.S. I'm afraid I didn't quite understand what you said: is it that everyone but Frank was about to shoot you?!? I hope not!

[Updated on: Sat, 31 December 2011 12:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A concert, a song and rain in Africa [message #538050 is a reply to message #537793] Tue, 03 January 2012 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Yes, saw it. Sorry, I was going to write back. It was funny, I was listening to the song in the third link. didn't really bother to notice what it said or read the youtube description, and i was thinking...this sounds really familiar. Then I realize it is "Africa" by Toto, a song I like from the early 1980's. I remember the girl in the video with great legs, who is also the same actress from a movie with Gene Simmons from Kiss as the bad guy.

Thanks again.
Re: A concert, a song and rain in Africa [message #538060 is a reply to message #538050] Tue, 03 January 2012 13:33 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Right, it was Africa by Toto. Somewhat different interpretation. I listened to other Perpetuum Jazzile's songs as well, but none was as good as Africa (at least, to me).

Those great legs belong to Cynthia Rhodes, I suppose? If so, no wonder - she acted in Flashdance (Tina Tech) and Dirty Dancing (yet another dancer) so she must have had great legs!
Previous Topic: Merry Christmas
Next Topic: Hello all
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:17:48 CDT 2024