Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » How to print Tick Sign in Reports 10g
How to print Tick Sign in Reports 10g [message #556568] Tue, 05 June 2012 06:21 Go to next message
oralover2006
hi all,

searched here for Tick Sign in Reports & Discoverer section, but did not find.
i am trying to work on Reports and have a requirement of Tick Sign should appear in report if the column value is 'Y' means yes.

i tried following SQL statement in SQL*Plus, but failed to find and Tick Sign, please help.

declare
   n number:=0;
   c varchar2(1);
begin
   for i in 1..255
   loop
      select chr(i)
        into c
        from dual;
      dbms_output.put_line ('* '||lpad(to_char(i),3,' ')||' -> '||c);
   end loop;
end;

Thanks very much for help in advance.
Smile
Re: How to print Tick Sign in Reports 10g [message #556573 is a reply to message #556568] Tue, 05 June 2012 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
That might be tricky.

I work under Windows.

One option is to find "tick sign" (it looks like a "checkbox checked" sign, if I understood what you are saying; right?) in Windows' "Character Map". In there, you'd choose a font that contains that sign. For example, Windgdings font; tick sign's code is 0xFE (254). Then you'd create it in report's layout (try copy/paste from MS Word, for example), or <Alt-Gr> + 254 combination or any other option you find appropriate. Make sure to set that sign's font to the same one you found in Character Map (in my example, that would be Wingdings).

The rest is easy - create its Format Trigger to return TRUE if certain condition is met. For example:
return (:column_value = 'Y');

Then you'd run the report and be really happy as you'd actually see that tick sign on the screen. Wow! But, you'd then copy the report to the application server which doesn't have to have the same font installed, so - instead of a tick sign - you'd get something unexpected and, above all, not acceptable for end users.

Therefore, I wouldn't recommend it.

Is there any other option? Certainly! Take a tick mark screenshot or download it (there are many pretty ones on the internet) and insert the image into your report. Of course, the same image should exist on the server as well.

The third option I can think of is to avoid tick sign and create something else - for example, two rectangles, one above the other. One of them would be painted green (for "Y") and another one red (for "N"). You'd then create Format triggers for each of them:
-- green:
return (:column_value = 'Y');
-- red:
return (:column_value <> 'Y');
and run the report. The simple "traffic light" would indicate column's value. That option doesn't depend on any font settings, images, their location etc. and works always.

Now that you have several options, pick one; I found the third option the most versatile.
Re: How to print Tick Sign in Reports 10g [message #556579 is a reply to message #556573] Tue, 05 June 2012 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oralover2006
First i have to say Thank you very much Sir Smile

yes your understanding is 100% right, the CheckBox tick sign.
agreed with your 3rd option but i have to use 2nd option as its the requirement.

With Best Regards.

[EDITED by LF: removed unnecessary quote of the whole previous message]

[Updated on: Tue, 05 June 2012 08:14] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to print Tick Sign in Reports 10g [message #556580 is a reply to message #556579] Tue, 05 June 2012 08:14 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
No problem; see if you can make it work (you might need to work tight with your DBA & system administrator).
Previous Topic: Tuning Report
Next Topic: How to run Oracle Reports (.rep or .rdf) from .bat file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:40:51 CDT 2024