Home » Other » Community Hangout » when experts get paid, they're paid for what ?
when experts get paid, they're paid for what ? [message #582459] Thu, 18 April 2013 09:17 Go to next message
Amine

Hi all,
I am a regular visitor of this site and I would like to thank people for the quality of the answers, the contributors such (Barbara Bohemer (ladies first Smile) Michel Cadot, CookieMonster, LittleFoot,...) are really exceptional with their responses and their professionalism.

I had a general question : What experts do when they are hired by companies ? I mean, here in orafaq, big problems are solved, really big problems. I usually post problems I encounter every day in my job, and I get quality answers for free ! And I've already ask myself this question about Thomas Kyte also.

This is really crazy, so starting from that : are experts doing more complex things when they are hired or are the traditional questions (mostly SQL & PL/SQL questions) asked here in Orafaq something like a "child game" for them ?

I think that lot of companies think that it is normal to pay for a solution that make there application run faster, or more maintainable. And they just come here and get the solution.

So when experts get paid, they're paid for what ?

Thanks for contributing,

Amine
Re: when experts get paid, they're paid for what ? [message #582606 is a reply to message #582459] Sat, 20 April 2013 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I am very grateful you created this topic when we saw so many askers which consider usual to get help from any of their questions and refuse to make any effort in posting them. More, which consider we owe them answers and solutions ASAP and do not beg for help but demand it and insult us when we make some critical remarks.

Thanks again.
Michel
Re: when experts get paid, they're paid for what ? [message #582619 is a reply to message #582459] Sat, 20 April 2013 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amine

Thanks Michel for replying. But you didn't respond to my question ? Smile Experts are paid for what if they do practically everything here FOR FREE !?
Re: when experts get paid, they're paid for what ? [message #582625 is a reply to message #582619] Sat, 20 April 2013 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes I didn't answer as any other regular did (I think). Why? Because if we put here in clear the balance the askers would be in so debit that it is not appropriate to post the details. Anyway, you made the global situation: yes, we give here many things that worth a lot and, yes, we do for free.

I don't know for others but many the times I am often paid to just repeat and repeat the same things (like Tom Kyte, his presentations and answers on AskTom are often the same ones since many years).
For instance, I worked, a couple years ago, for a bank; I have to set up database security. It took me about a month or two to write the specifications on how the security has to be built and develop the related packages, and 4 years to be able to put it in every database for every application and project, just because each time a new employee or a new boss or a new project comes I have to explain again and again why he can't do it as he has always done and now he has to do as it is now defined even if he has to change its habits (and DBA were the worst).

In other cases I have to determine why problems appear again and again and set up processes to prevent that.
As you can see, my work is not only technical but (even if it is defined as technical in the beginning) more organizational (under the cover I am an expert in the technique).

Regards
Michel
Re: when experts get paid, they're paid for what ? [message #582645 is a reply to message #582625] Sat, 20 April 2013 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I was waiting for some others to respond first, as I can't speak for everyone else and I think my situation was a little unusual. I did a variety of things, mostly application development and data conversion from legacy systems, that was mostly about converting unstructured data from applications in other languages dumped into text files and validating it against the lookup tables in the new systems. I was appreciated by some and given an exemplary service award and under-appreciated by others, mostly supervisors with little or no technical knowledge, who thought the only record-keeping system needed was 3" by 5" cards in shoe boxes. I am currently retired.

Re: when experts get paid, they're paid for what ? [message #582670 is a reply to message #582459] Sun, 21 April 2013 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I would think that most of the members who contribute answers want to (in no particular order)
Teach
Grow the Oracle community
Add to the sum total of human happiness
Show off
Raise their online profile
Have fun
Learn
Exercise their brains

Whereas most of those who contribute only questions want to (in no particular order)
Learn
Avoid work
Claim credit for other people's work

The conclusion one comes to, Amine, is that for some people a self-interested (often financial) motivation is not necessary for work. But for others, self-interest is the only consideration.
Re: when experts get paid, they're paid for what ? [message #582685 is a reply to message #582645] Sun, 21 April 2013 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arif_md2009

Really good question posted by amine, i am always in awe of these three Barbara,Michel and Littlefoot for the amazing response and especially i have benefitted a lot from these three whom i think as benchmarks or role models of inspiration , nobody not even in otn forums have answered my queries like them hats off with lot of respect to these greats.I wish i would become like them one day.You guys are exceptional.My salute to all of you and many many thanks.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 April 2013 11:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: when experts get paid, they're paid for what ? [message #590504 is a reply to message #582645] Thu, 18 July 2013 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Barbara Boehmer wrote on Sun, 21 April 2013 00:33
I am currently retired.

Retired as in? From regular work/service? I used to think you would be an Oracle consultant in some MNC or a big shot freelancer working 24x7. Your enthusiasm while replying to someone's post proves you are a person with undying energy. BTW, it's amazing that you are the only lady among the experts here. How do you feel about that?
Re: when experts get paid, they're paid for what ? [message #590507 is a reply to message #590504] Thu, 18 July 2013 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Lalit Kumar B wrote on Thu, 18 July 2013 20:46
Barbara Boehmer wrote on Sun, 21 April 2013 00:33
I am currently retired.

Retired as in? From regular work/service? I used to think you would be an Oracle consultant in some MNC or a big shot freelancer working 24x7. Your enthusiasm while replying to someone's post proves you are a person with undying energy. BTW, it's amazing that you are the only lady among the experts here. How do you feel about that?

I am retired, as in I no longer work. I collect a small retirement income. Due to medical issues, I no longer have the energy to drive 46 miles each way in rush hours traffic five days per week and work an eight-hour day. I am open to things that I can do from home sitting at my desk on a flexible schedule, but I haven't tried hard to find such things, and have only done a small amount of technical editing, which I found interesting and enjoyable.

It is because I do not have energy that I spend some of my time responding to questions on the forums. It is better than just sitting and watching television and becoming a vegetable. However, there are some times when I am too tired to concentrate. I look at a problem and think that it looks interesting, but I am too tired to figure it out at the time, so I make a note to look at it again when I am more rested. Then, when I am more rested, I look at it again, and the solution is obvious.

I don't believe I am the only lady amongst the experts here. Amongst my fellow moderators, I believe BlackSwan is a lady. I believe there are also some other experts who are ladies. Some people do not post their gender in their profile or provide any clues, so there may be more ladies than you think.

icon14.gif  Re: when experts get paid, they're paid for what ? [message #590511 is a reply to message #590507] Fri, 19 July 2013 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Driving 46 miles...that's too far Shocked . Almost 75 kilometers(unit used in India).

I never knew Blackswan is a lady #respect#. One of my senior technology lead at my work place is a lady, and she is simply awesome with her knowledge base and analytical skills. But I wonder she is too shy to join any forum, I wish she too starts contributing to the Oracle community with the knowledge wealth she posses.
Re: when experts get paid, they're paid for what ? [message #590582 is a reply to message #590507] Fri, 19 July 2013 06:48 Go to previous message
arif_md2009

Mam, whatever you are doing for this entire community is really great, hats off to you and you deserve to be applauded.Especially for me you have become my role model and benchmark.I derive lot of inspiration and motivation from you by learning new things from you.You have helped me a lot , thanks a lot to you and all others too Michael,Littlefoot,Blackswann.
Previous Topic: About Michel ! By his fan Sriram Sanka
Next Topic: Would you have invested?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:03:43 CDT 2024