Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Plagiarism on www.dbametrix.net #2
Plagiarism on www.dbametrix.net #2 [message #605562] Fri, 10 January 2014 10:00 Go to next message
EdStevens
[Split from Database connectivity check by LF]

please note that this thread is in the process of being pirated to dbametrix.net. the latest entry is where a 'dorothydba' posted this thread's msg 600929

see http://dbametrix.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1587

[Updated on: Sat, 11 January 2014 15:53] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Database connectivity check [message #605567 is a reply to message #605562] Fri, 10 January 2014 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Ed, I am gaining great amusement from your detective work. Your time on this exercise (which is, as we all know, ultimately pointless) is much appreciated Smile
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605590 is a reply to message #605567] Sat, 11 January 2014 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
John Watson wrote on Fri, 10 January 2014 10:14
Ed, I am gaining great amusement from your detective work. Your time on this exercise (which is, as we all know, ultimately pointless) is much appreciated Smile

I'll give it a rest. my primary intent beyond the initial raising of the subject is two-fold. First, by putting comments in the threads that are being copied, eventually the person(s) doing the copying will know they have been exposed. Second (and this is a long shot) perhaps a point will be reached that google searches will turn up something about dbametrix besides their own controlled self created image.
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605605 is a reply to message #605590] Sat, 11 January 2014 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
EdStevens wrote on Sat, 11 January 2014 08:42

... my primary intent beyond the initial raising of the subject is two-fold. First, by putting comments in the threads that are being copied, eventually the person(s) doing the copying will know they have been exposed. Second (and this is a long shot) perhaps a point will be reached that google searches will turn up something about dbametrix besides their own controlled self created image.

I think Littlefoot may have not realized that and unintentionally foiled your plans by splitting your comments on the original threads into separate threads like this one is now.

Re: Database connectivity check [message #605613 is a reply to message #605605] Sun, 12 January 2014 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Huh, that's true, Barbara (and the rest of you). I thought that now, when dbametrix's plagiarism has been discovered, we shouldn't discuss that in "real" topics. Sorry, didn't mean to spoil your intentions. If you want, re-merge this topic with the original (or say so, I'll do that, no problem). On the other hand, I'll restrain myself from any future actions regarding dbametrix.
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605677 is a reply to message #605613] Mon, 13 January 2014 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
For anyone who d=feels strongly enough about this, a suggestion:
Register, find one of the plagiarised posts
Point out that his dishonesty has been identified and that it is now being discussed in various fora. As a result of this, it is likely that searches on his name and various names that he is associated with will start to come up with links to these discussions that highlight his dishonesty and that this is likely to negatively affect his business.

You never know, he might be just enough above the level of moron to take heed and cease and desist with his bs.
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605678 is a reply to message #605677] Mon, 13 January 2014 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Alternatively, I wonder if this lot are aware of their association and the potential negative impact?...
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605686 is a reply to message #605677] Mon, 13 January 2014 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
I've probably said/done enough/too much already. Ilike the idea of others posting exposures on their system. I tried but got banned forever. To get through you'll probably need to 'prove yourself' first by posting an innocuous message to an unrelated thread.

I am under delusion that we can stop all piracy, but have always felt that lighting a single candle against the darkness is worthy
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605688 is a reply to message #605686] Mon, 13 January 2014 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Are you going to note anything on your blog? (might be worth it from an amusement factor)
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605711 is a reply to message #605688] Mon, 13 January 2014 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I wouldn't be that optimistic. An innocent Internet surfer (a person) searches for some Oracle stuff. Google returns a link to dbametrix.net. Our surfer finds information he's interested in, and he really doesn't care whether it was marvelously written by Ed Stevens or dorothydba or John Doe or Papst Johannes Paul der zweite.

Besides, as Ed had already noticed, even if we register and post a message that emphasizes obvious injustice, the consequence would be
a) message - deleted
b) us - permanently banned
Google wouldn't even find our attempt.

Therefore, I doubt that anyone can do anything in HIS back yard. Over there, he's the ruler. But here, yes - no problem, we can create a topic that would contain links (or whatever you want) to such sites, write an OraFAQ Wiki article ... your choice.

P.S. Oh, yes - it would be a good idea if Ed posts that on his blog!

[Updated on: Mon, 13 January 2014 15:29]

Re: Database connectivity check [message #605717 is a reply to message #605711] Mon, 13 January 2014 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
Littlefoot wrote on Mon, 13 January 2014 15:28

i have a post in draft for that. Decided to sleep on it for a few days to think about how specific I wanted it to be. In the mean time I recovering from shoulder surgery and am frustratingly limited to one handed typing with my off hand.

how specific vs. generalized comment on the issue does everyone think i should be?
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605720 is a reply to message #605711] Mon, 13 January 2014 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Littlefoot wrote on Mon, 13 January 2014 21:28
I wouldn't be that optimistic. An innocent Internet surfer (a person) searches for some Oracle stuff. Google returns a link to dbametrix.net. Our surfer finds information he's interested in, and he really doesn't care whether it was marvelously written by Ed Stevens or dorothydba or John Doe or Papst Johannes Paul der zweite.
Agreed, but that's not my 'target'.

Quote:

Besides, as Ed had already noticed, even if we register and post a message that emphasizes obvious injustice, the consequence would be
a) message - deleted
b) us - permanently banned
Google wouldn't even find our attempt.
The point isn't for google to register it, the point is for him to register it. Let him know that he's been caught, let him know that he is now being discussed in several forums, let him know that these discussions will appear on google searches.

Quote:
Therefore, I doubt that anyone can do anything in HIS back yard. Over there, he's the ruler.
See above.
Quote:
But here, yes - no problem, we can create a topic that would contain links (or whatever you want) to such sites, write an OraFAQ Wiki article ... your choice.
I would say that any thread that is found to be duplicated on his site gets several posts in our version noting his dishonesty, maybe poke a bit of fun at him and link(s) to the other threads that he has plagiarised. People searching for topics that would bring them to his site, will also get hits to this site (same topic, same search Smile )

Quote:
I look forward to that one Smile
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605721 is a reply to message #605717] Mon, 13 January 2014 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
EdStevens wrote on Mon, 13 January 2014 22:11

i have a post in draft for that. Decided to sleep on it for a few days to think about how specific I wanted it to be. In the mean time I recovering from shoulder surgery and am frustratingly limited to one handed typing with my off hand.

how specific vs. generalized comment on the issue does everyone think i should be?

So long as you hold clear evidence of his plagiarism, I'd go with pointing to the OraFAQ thread, point to his thread, point out that you wrote the one on OraFAQ and not on dbametrix, you don't even have to call it plagiarism if you want to avoid any potential flak (not that I think there would be any), plenty of people will post comments to your blog that will do exactly that (wanna know how I know Wink ). However, at the end of the day, it's your blog and I guess you need to consider how you want that space to be treated and viewed.

Afterthought
I wonder how TK would write such a thing up in his blog? Anyone know him well enough to ask for a bump when(if) Ed posts?

[Updated on: Mon, 13 January 2014 17:36]

Re: Database connectivity check [message #605727 is a reply to message #605721] Mon, 13 January 2014 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Ed, sorry to hear about the surgery. I hope you'll get well soon. As of you thinking about how general or specific to be - be very specific. If my apples were stolen, I would say "Bigfoot stole my apples" rather than "someone stole my apples". Someone won't get ashamed, Bigfoot might /forum/fa/3971/0/

Jim, I think that you are still too optimistic (probably because you live among civilized people). You said: "the point is for him to register it". Do you really think he cares? If he did, he wouldn't have done it! Besides, if I remember well, Ed pointed that out on dbametrix.net (i.e. made him "register it") and was instantly banned /forum/fa/3415/0/

TK is my good friend, Tom Kyte, right? I know him well; if you remember, 3 months ago I was attending HrOUG conference and had a good look at him from a distance of, say, 50 meters. I also saw him leaving the hotel. Is that "well" enough? /forum/fa/1600/0/
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605732 is a reply to message #605727] Tue, 14 January 2014 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Littlefoot wrote on Tue, 14 January 2014 05:41
Ed, sorry to hear about the surgery. I hope you'll get well soon. As of you thinking about how general or specific to be - be very specific. If my apples were stolen, I would say "Bigfoot stole my apples" rather than "someone stole my apples". Someone won't get ashamed, Bigfoot might /forum/fa/3971/0/
Very Happy

Quote:
Jim, I think that you are still too optimistic (probably because you live among civilized people).
Hmmm, Glasgow is certainly close to civilisation... Quote:
You said: "the point is for him to register it". Do you really think he cares? If he did, he wouldn't have done it!
I think he doesn't care about his plagiarism so long as he doesn't get caught. I think he WILL care about being caught, being discussed on other fora where people searching for the same topics as they will find o his site WILL see those discussions on out site. I think that he'll care about not being found out 'publicly'.

Quote:
Besides, if I remember well, Ed pointed that out on dbametrix.net (i.e. made him "register it") and was instantly banned /forum/fa/3415/0/
I genuinely see where you're coming from, and if it were just one person doing this, I would absolutely agree as to the futility of the exercise, but I'm talking about several people doing this, all within a short period of time (say agree a specific day where we all post a similar message. e.g. we all register over the next week and next Monday every body posts a message to the forum directed AT HIM.

Quote:
TK is my good friend, Tom Kyte, right? I know him well; if you remember, 3 months ago I was attending HrOUG conference and had a good look at him from a distance of, say, 50 meters. I also saw him leaving the hotel. Is that "well" enough? /forum/fa/1600/0/

Always good to start the day with an out loud laugh, thanks LF Very Happy

I guess my final point would be that if none of us post anything to him, he will most certainly continue, if we all make a concerted effort to show this muppet that his actions are unacceptable, then he might desist out of either embarrassment or concern as to his 'reputation'.
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605753 is a reply to message #605711] Tue, 14 January 2014 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
I think that pablolee means that someone might use information found using a Google search in good faith and not realise (or even care) that it has been plagiarised.
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605793 is a reply to message #605711] Tue, 14 January 2014 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens

http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/forum-plagiarism/
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605795 is a reply to message #605793] Tue, 14 January 2014 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Nice one Ed. Reads well, simple statement of the facts. Spot on chief.
Re: Database connectivity check [message #605816 is a reply to message #605795] Wed, 15 January 2014 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Really nice, Ed.

The "you should take it up and have them stop doing this..." comment made me think of the ending of "Jay and Silent Bob strike back". which would basically be the only way to "have them" do it. :->

Better to just state the facts, and let people come to their own conclusions

Re: Database connectivity check [message #605850 is a reply to message #605793] Wed, 15 January 2014 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
Well put Smile
Re: Plagiarism on www.dbametrix.net #2 [message #606026 is a reply to message #605562] Fri, 17 January 2014 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
An ironic twist: we have a member here, giteshtrivedi. He posted on his blog hosted here only last month, http://orafaq.com/node/2862 The article does link to that kendba.com site which is co-located with the dbametrix.net site, and his profile gives dbametrics.net as his home page.
I wonder if his own blog is being plagiarized?

Re: Plagiarism on www.dbametrix.net #2 [message #606030 is a reply to message #606026] Fri, 17 January 2014 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

His interview questions are the same ones than at http://admindbs.blogspot.fr/2011/12/oracle-dba-interview-questions.html (but who copied who?).
Also the first answer is exactly http://www.slashdocs.com/nimriq/data-recovery.html.

Re: Plagiarism on www.dbametrix.net #2 [message #606517 is a reply to message #606030] Sat, 25 January 2014 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
FWIW, as of this morning, there seems to be a response at dbametrix.net.

See http://dbametrix.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1605

In spite of this, a few things still 'smell'.
1) If the copying wasn't official activity, why was I banned from the site for pointing it out?
2) The pattern of copying gives every appearance of being an organized effort.

If giteshtrvedi is a member in this forum, it would be nice to get a full explanation from him.
Re: Plagiarism on www.dbametrix.net #2 [message #606528 is a reply to message #606517] Sat, 25 January 2014 13:03 Go to previous message
pablolee
Yeah, that sounds like he realises he's been caught, he's now realised what he's being seen as (i.e. a talentless cheat) and he's trying to blame someone else for his poor and unprofessional behaviour.

[Updated on: Sat, 25 January 2014 13:04]

Previous Topic: Search functionality doesn't work accurately when keyword has punctuation/special characters
Next Topic: How can I permanently delete my account how can I do it
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:27:34 CDT 2024