Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Oracle 11g on VMWARE (Oracle 11g, Windows Server 2008)
Oracle 11g on VMWARE [message #618888] Wed, 16 July 2014 05:30 Go to next message
josephmaan
Hi,

Kindly advise if there are any restrictions on having an Oracle db running over 11g to be installed in a VMware?

The issue is that we are having performance degradation between the physical and the virtual environment keeping in mind that we have the same resources allocated for both environments.

Should be consider that in general the virtual environment is slower than the physical one when it comes to having Oracle 11g?

Any replies are highly appreciated.
Re: Oracle 11g on VMWARE [message #618902 is a reply to message #618888] Wed, 16 July 2014 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum. Please read our OraFAQ Forum Guide and please read How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read

My experience is that disc I/O is usually rubbish in any virtualized enviuronment. Doesn't matter whether it is VMware, VirtualBox, or Xen. Always rubbish. Your system administrators refuse to believe this, so run the dbms_resource_manager.calibrate_io routine on both the virtual and the physical servers. That should convince them.
Re: Oracle 11g on VMWARE [message #618904 is a reply to message #618902] Wed, 16 July 2014 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
josephmaan
Thank you for the reply John,

So if I understand correctly, you would recommend moving to a virtual environment where by the performance will be way better than the physical environment.
Re: Oracle 11g on VMWARE [message #618905 is a reply to message #618904] Wed, 16 July 2014 07:18 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

No, he would not:

Quote:
My experience is that disc I/O is usually rubbish in any virtualized enviuronment.

Previous Topic: Query Performance
Next Topic: How to revert the work done by accept_sql_profile procedure & Issues to watch out with SPM (merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:37:33 CDT 2024