Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Using ORDS (Apex Listener) with ICAP virus scanning (ORDS 2.x)
Using ORDS (Apex Listener) with ICAP virus scanning [message #626134] Tue, 21 October 2014 03:52 Go to next message
John Watson
I'm looking at enabling virus scanning for file uploads into APEX. I can't find any decent description of how to configure it in the docs (which may be because I haven't found the correct doc). If anyone is using it or can point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Re: Using ORDS (Apex Listener) with ICAP virus scanning [message #626137 is a reply to message #626134] Tue, 21 October 2014 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I see two problems in your question. Actually, in a topic subject: I have no idea what ORDS and ICAP are (yes, Google is my friend). Obviously, I can't answer your question.

From my point of view & knowing OraFAQ Apex forum participants, you might have to wait indefinitely for the answer (I wish I was wrong). As far as I know, OTN Apex forum is the best place for Apex discussions in the world. There are people who truly know Apex. Even its designers answer certain questions so - I'd suggest you to ask for help over there.
Re: Using ORDS (Apex Listener) with ICAP virus scanning [message #626138 is a reply to message #626137] Tue, 21 October 2014 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Sorry about the acronyms. ORDS is the Oracle REST Data Server (where REST is something like Representational State Transition) which is just the re-badging of the Apex Listener: that Java HTTP listener that we are meant to deploy to WebLogic for publishing APEX apps. ICAP is Internet Content something-or-other, it's a protocol that lets your application server pass docs to external services (typically virus scanners) for processing.

I'll have a look OTN. But I hate it.
Re: Using ORDS (Apex Listener) with ICAP virus scanning [message #626139 is a reply to message #626138] Tue, 21 October 2014 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Thank you for the explanation!

I wasn't criticizing you, I was trying to say that I have no idea about such things. People who work with ORDS and ICAP and similar stuff understand you perfectly well - however, I'm not among them Sad

Re: Using ORDS (Apex Listener) with ICAP virus scanning [message #629231 is a reply to message #626139] Thu, 04 December 2014 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jbeckstrom
Did you find out how to do this? We want to do the same.
Re: Using ORDS (Apex Listener) with ICAP virus scanning [message #629291 is a reply to message #629231] Fri, 05 December 2014 15:21 Go to previous message
John Watson
I haven't done this yet (no commitment from the client) but it looks straightforward.

As far as I can see, ICAP for virus scan can be set up in ORDS from release 2.x. I can't find any documentation describing the set up, other than setting the host:port of the ICAP service in the ORDS configuration file. If it works the way I've seen it in another environments, you need to be running a virus scanning service configured for ICAP somewhere and then the submission of files to the ICAP server will be automatic. I expect APEX would need to handle whatever return code it sends.

I was intending to write this up as a blog here when I've done it. If you get there first, please do so! nd keep this topic updated.

Previous Topic: Add Quote for string
Next Topic: NEW TO APEX and Exploring. Please help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:30:03 CDT 2024