Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Database today's load vs yesterday (Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production)
Database today's load vs yesterday [message #634169] Thu, 05 March 2015 03:51 Go to next message
ind9
Dear All,

I have a general question and I seek your valuable suggestios.
I am asked to find out present day load on database when compared to yesterday.

The transactions which were performed on yesterday are not same as today.
Scenario is one of the developer is going to execute a script and because of that how much % of load on database will be increased.

I can generate a AWR report for yesterday and today but how to prepare a summary out of it?

Any suggestions on this topic are highly appreciable. Please kindly suggest.

Thank you all.
Re: Database today's load vs yesterday [message #634170 is a reply to message #634169] Thu, 05 March 2015 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
I can generate a AWR report for yesterday and today but how to prepare a summary out of it?
What are you having trouble with? You will study the reports, determine which sections you think are relevant to whatever problems you are facing (have you actually identified what the problems are? Or indeed if the are any problems? You need to do that before looking at the reports) and then describe the differences and construct a hypothesis that explains them.

This is the Scientific Method.
Re: Database today's load vs yesterday [message #634171 is a reply to message #634170] Thu, 05 March 2015 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
Best place to start is probably

@?/rdbms/admin/awrddrpt
Re: Database today's load vs yesterday [message #634172 is a reply to message #634170] Thu, 05 March 2015 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ind9
Thanks a lot for your reply.
We are expecting a lot of reads on database since one of the application (doesn't have previous knowledge on this application) is going to be connected with our database and because of this how much database load will be increased.
In this case, may I focus on load profile, Top Timed Events & wait events sections in the AWR difference report to find out the % of change on database?

Thank you in advance!
Re: Database today's load vs yesterday [message #634173 is a reply to message #634172] Thu, 05 March 2015 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You didn't bother to read my reply, did you?

Before you even look at a report (the Compare Periods report RC mentioned may be the best) you need to identify the problem. What are your users and deelopers complaining about?
Re: Database today's load vs yesterday [message #634174 is a reply to message #634173] Thu, 05 March 2015 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ind9
Yes, I read your reply & sorry for not making it clear to you.
There are no complaints, still we are on testing phase.
We have been asked to find the amount of load that will be put on the database because of connecting to a new additional 3rd party application.
Re: Database today's load vs yesterday [message #634175 is a reply to message #634174] Thu, 05 March 2015 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Well, in that case you have no problem. Cool. All I would do is save the snapshots for the today and yesterday reports you generated as baselines, so that you can compare later if problems ever occur.
Re: Database today's load vs yesterday [message #634221 is a reply to message #634175] Thu, 05 March 2015 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
I think I understand the question.

You have been asked to MEASURE THE IMPACT of a script running on a live database. You have chosen to do that by comparing A and B, where A is how the database performed without the script running and B is how the database performed WITH the script running. Fair enough. Good for you.

Here's the thing: distance is measured in metres (at least it is in civilised countries Smile ), time is measured in seconds, mass is measured in grams. But what is load measured in?

Sure, you can go back to the person who asked this and tell them that CPU utilisation was up by 2%, or disk queue length was up by 6, or Buffer Cache Hits were down by 1%. But then the person who asked you to perform this task is going to say something like: "So, is this safe to run every day?" or "So, do we need to tune it?" or "So, do we need to upgrade our network?" or any number of other random-sounding questions THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TEST YOU PERFORMED.

You need to rephrase the question because you are not being specific about WHAT you want to measure, WHY you want to measure it, and what sort of questions you hope to answer.

You might also look at Oracle Real Application Testing. You can use it to record a workload of production transactions (say an hour's worth) and then replay the workload as many times as you like on non-production database, recording and comparing the results. I don't know much more about it, but it might be possible to re-run the same workload twice, once with the script running and once without, using tools to Real Application Testing tools to compare performance of the two runs.

Ross Leishman
Re: Database today's load vs yesterday [message #634232 is a reply to message #634221] Fri, 06 March 2015 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Ah, right. I hadn't thought of it that way. If so, here's another idea you might try, ind9.

Conenct to the database as the user who will run the script.
Run queries such as this:
select name,value from v$mystat natural join v$statname where name in
('physical reads','redo size','CPU used by this session','undo change vector size');

The figures should be very low if you have just connected. Then run your scripts, and run my query again. That will show how much "load" was generated in terms of the statistics monitored. Though you can't be sure that the numbers will translate into anything meaningful in terms of impact on users.
Re: Database today's load vs yesterday [message #634257 is a reply to message #634232] Fri, 06 March 2015 10:49 Go to previous message
ind9
Thank you..
Previous Topic: The differential between Index hint and no hint
Next Topic: Performance Monitor looked ugly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:16:27 CDT 2024