Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Reg Import of a database which does not exisit in the machine
Reg Import of a database which does not exisit in the machine [message #72471] Thu, 26 June 2003 00:02 Go to next message
Prasanna
How do we import a database that does nto exist in the machine. The problem arises when we give (e.g)
imp file=name.dmp

It asks for a password. Since we dont know that(Its a production system) we are not able to set a development system here.what are the steps we have take.

Thanks in advance
Prasanna
Re: Reg Import of a database which does not exisit in the machine [message #72474 is a reply to message #72471] Thu, 26 June 2003 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
i dont get u.
-- to do the export
-- user1 is an user in sourcedb 
exp user1/pass@sourcedb owner=xx file=user1.dmp
-- to do the import to another targetdb
-- user2 is user in targetdb
imp user2/pass@targetdb fromuser=user1 touser=user2 file=user1.dmp

Re: Reg Import of a database which does not exisit in the machine [message #72475 is a reply to message #72474] Thu, 26 June 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prasanna
Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for your reply. The situation is like this there is a database X on machine A
Iam not aware of the userid used for exporting the database.

Now this database X needs to be put in machine B.

Please tell me a procedure for doing this.

Assume that machine B has no X put in it previously.

Thanks in Advance
prasanna
Re: Reg Import of a database which does not exisit in the machine [message #72476 is a reply to message #72475] Thu, 26 June 2003 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ctg
a database has to already be on machine B in order to import. import will only create objects in the database, it will not create the database. and you need to have a userid to import into the database because you are connecting to the database.
Re: Reg Import of a database which does not exisit in the machine [message #72482 is a reply to message #72476] Fri, 27 June 2003 10:08 Go to previous message
Prasanna
Thanks a lot ctg

Your answer has cleared my doubts.I will create an empty database and later import the objects into it.
Previous Topic: ORACLE JOBS PROBLEM
Next Topic: import very slow....pls help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 13:58:17 CDT 2024