Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Oracle rac
Oracle rac [message #74841] Tue, 22 April 2003 10:41 Go to next message
Max
I looked and looked and looked and have a BIG question on Oracle RAC. Is there any way to make an oracle parallel cluster that just makes a mirror of the database on each node instead of having the db files hosted on 1 server and the cluster nodes pull off of it? I understand how you can have many oracle nodes which is why its a cluster but if all of them are loading db files off of 1 main storage server, wouldn't that storage server be the single point of failer. After all, since each oracle node has to read/write to those database files, that storage server gets at least an equal amount of load as those cluster nodes.

-Thank you.
Re: Oracle rac [message #74842 is a reply to message #74841] Tue, 22 April 2003 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

RAC works with one and only one shared database. One can duplicate database storage using Oracle features like Data Guard (Standby Databases), Advanced Replication, and Oracle Streams. These features can be used together with RAC. Some storage subsystems also support data replication/mirroring between different boxes.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Oracle rac [message #74843 is a reply to message #74841] Tue, 22 April 2003 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Max
Can you point me in the right direction of that data mirroring thing? Do you know what its called? Also, is that mirroring thing in real time or is it batched?

I'm setting up a clustered oracle database for college using rlx server blades (www.rlx.com) and I need each blade to be a mirrored database. Where all INSERT sql queries are broadcasted to all the nodes to update there databases but the SELECT sql queries are split up or sent to certain nodes etc etc.
Re: Oracle rac [message #74844 is a reply to message #74841] Wed, 23 April 2003 00:27 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Hi,

> Can you point me in the right direction of that data mirroring thing?

It depends on your storage vendor. Call them for a solution. For example, EMC provides a facility called SRDF (real-time or batch data replication).

> ...INSERT broadcasted to all the nodes ... SELECT split up or sent to certain nodes etc...

I'm not sure this would be possible with Oracle, unless you write the algorithms for it yourself.

Best would be to use RAC to access the same DB from all your blades. Then deploy data guard to a second storage server that is also connected to all your blades. If disaster strikes on the storage side, data guard can activate the standby database on the second disk subsystem and route traffic to it.

Best regards.

Frank
Previous Topic: oracle 8.1.7 OPS installation on single node
Next Topic: Oracle 9i lsnodes/clustercheck error...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:25:52 CDT 2024