Home » Server Options » Replication » Advantage & Disadvantage of using snapshots
Advantage & Disadvantage of using snapshots [message #75082] Sun, 29 July 2001 20:11 Go to next message
Edwin Lau
Let's say that every morning at 2:00AM, I want to copy all the data from Table a in Database A to Table b of Database B.

My first reaction is that I should create a data link to database B, and write a script which truncates the data in Table b and then do a select into statement to copy the data from Table a to Table b.

However when I look at how my DBA does it, he first creates a snap shot of Table a. Instead of directly copying the data from Table a to Table b, the data is copied from the snap shot of Table a to Table b.

Can anyone tell me what is the advantage of creating a snap shot when I just want to copy the data from one table in a database to another table in another database every morning? Will there be any disadvantage if the data directly copied from Table a to Table b? (instead of copying from the snap shot of Table a to Table b?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Advantage & Disadvantage of using snapshots [message #75085 is a reply to message #75082] Mon, 30 July 2001 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anjan
snapshot is used in replicating data. replication is a facility for propagating changes made in one database to another. when a row is inserted, updated or deleted in one db, a corresponding action is automatically performed in the other db.
snapshot technology is also used to replicate data to a standby database.

regards,
anjan saikia

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Advantage & Disadvantage of using of all database systems [message #75475 is a reply to message #75082] Wed, 25 February 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Faisal
iam doing bcs and iwant Advantage & Disadvantage of all database systems for assignment and also to choose a better database system for my future. and i shall be great full to all of you for this kind favoure
Re: Advantage & Disadvantage of using of all database systems [message #75590 is a reply to message #75475] Mon, 20 December 2004 03:08 Go to previous message
Farzana
Advantages:
1. easy to structure data
2. easy to search, update and retrieve data (using SQL)
Previous Topic: ORA-12054 while creating materialized view
Next Topic: replication
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:11:10 CDT 2024