Home » Developer & Programmer » Designer » Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i
Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90499] Thu, 11 December 2003 04:19 Go to next message
what is the difference be
Currently we are using oracle8i in my organization, but now we are looking to go for oracle9i but i don't know what is the difference between this two version. And why i have to use oracle9i.
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90503 is a reply to message #90499] Sun, 14 December 2003 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neeraj A
Oracle 9i is an upgrade version of Oracle.It offers lot of new and additional features, which are not available in oracle 8i.It offers, new features to both
developers and administrators.Oracle 9i is the obvious choice.
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90510 is a reply to message #90499] Sat, 27 December 2003 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William Robertson
8i introduced a number of features in SQL that could not be used in PL/SQL. Since we went to 9.2 it's been great to be able to use MERGE INTO, CASE and analytic functions within PL/SQL packages.

A lot of little things are improved in PL/SQL, such as CAST now being implicit in many situations when you used to have to code FROM TABLE(CAST(table_expression AS some_array_type) - you can now use FROM TABLE(table_expression). Also INDEX BY collections (associative arrays) can now INDEX BY other types besides BINARY_INTEGER (e.g. PLS_INTEGER, VARCHAR2).

In 9i you can use locally managed tablespaces for every tablespace including temp, rollback and system, while in 8i you were limited to regular data/index tablespaces. You also get automated undo management which is worth taking a look at (for example you can configure it to hold onto rollback blocks for longer, which could potentially help reduce ORA-01555 Snapshot Too Old errors).

I'm also planning to try out native compilation (stored PL/SQL compiled into C).

For the full list of new features, see the online documentation.
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90547 is a reply to message #90499] Fri, 13 February 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shbgupta
Differences Between Debugging on Oracle8i or Oracle9i Release 1 and Oracle9i Release 2 DatabasesThe main differences between debugging on the Oracle8i Release 8.1.7 or Oracle9i Release 1 databases and debugging on the Oracle9i Release 2 database are as follows

Debugging Java stored procedures is supported in the Oracle9i Release 2 database only.

For Oracle8i or Oracle9i Release 1 databases, scalar data types such as NUMBER and VARCHAR2 are displayed as a single, nonexpandable entry in the Data and Watches window. For Oracle9i Release 2 databases, all data types (including scalars) are shown as expandable entries.
For Oracle8i or Oracle9i Release 1 databases, limited access to composite data types is provided. See "Known Issues" below for more information.
For Oracle8i or Oracle9i Release 1 databases, the Tracing Classes and Packages to Include and the Tracing Classes and Packages to Exclude entries, which are specified in Project | Project Settings - Debugger, are not used.
Known IssuesThe following are issues encountered when debugging against an Oracle8i or Oracle9i Release 1 database. These are limitations of the older API and will not be fixed.

Composite data typesThe JDeveloper data-related windows including the Data window, the Watches window, and the Inspector windows can display variables which are scalar types such as NUMBER, VARCHAR2, and the like. Other more complex types are also displayed including:

CURSOR
The value displayed will show the flags, rowcount, and knlflags.
RECORD
The debugger cannot display an entire record. However, you can enter an expression in the Watches or Inspector windows to see a given field in the record. For example, my_rec.my_field.
TABLE of <scalar>
The debugger displays a folder (similar to how it displays an array in Java stored procedures). The user can expand the folder to see the elements. The user can right-click the folder and choose Adjust Range to enter the range of indexes that should be displayed when the folder is expanded. The default range is 1...100. The more indexes in the range (even if the elements for those indexes don't exist in the table), the longer it will take to expand the folder.
TABLE of <composite>
The debugger displays a folder (similar to how it displays an array in Java stored procedures). If the user expands the folder, the debugger may not be able to display the elements. This includes tables of tables.
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90639 is a reply to message #90547] Wed, 16 June 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anima Sahoo
The main difference between oracle-8i and oracle-9i that oracle 8i has no Time Stamp option there.
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90658 is a reply to message #90639] Thu, 01 July 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sameer
the diference i read from the boook is about the
coalesce function
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90661 is a reply to message #90499] Fri, 02 July 2004 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rajesh Kumar
Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i?
what is the purpose of oracle10g?
how it is differ from oracle10g?
Re: Basic Ten Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90696 is a reply to message #90510] Wed, 11 August 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HURANI
what is the diffrent between oracle8i and oracle9i just in command field .
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90709 is a reply to message #90547] Tue, 24 August 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baskaran
software engineer
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90723 is a reply to message #90639] Sun, 12 September 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
k.guru
sir,i want t know the main differences between oracle8i database and oracle 9i database in allplatform(windows,unix,sunsolorais).
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90770 is a reply to message #90661] Wed, 10 November 2004 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ramakrishna
dear sir
i would like to know the Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i and for the job how is the market for 9i
bye
ramakrishna
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90772 is a reply to message #90661] Mon, 15 November 2004 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandeep Kumar sinah
Waiting for your reply.
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90794 is a reply to message #90499] Mon, 13 December 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shiva shankar
Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90796 is a reply to message #90772] Wed, 15 December 2004 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rajeev Ranjan Singh
what is the differences among oracle 8i, oracle 9i, oracle 10 g??
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90803 is a reply to message #90794] Mon, 27 December 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rajesh mangade
Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90804 is a reply to message #90639] Tue, 28 December 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
k d Ashok kumar
i want to know about difference between oracle8i and 9i
and oracle9i features other then oracle8i
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90808 is a reply to message #90499] Tue, 04 January 2005 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sathishkumar
i need diff b/w Oracle 8i & Oracle 9i
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90809 is a reply to message #90808] Wed, 05 January 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Art Metzer
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90818 is a reply to message #90808] Tue, 25 January 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xyz
Let's begin by taking a look at the differences between the Oracle9i database and the Oracle8i database. One of the most significant enhancements to Oracle9i is the elimination of the need to have a separate PGA area for all dedicated connections to the Oracle database. As we may remember from Oracle8i, dedicated Oracle connections were required to allocate a separate area within the RAM memory called a Program Global Area, or PGA. This PGA region contains the SORT_AREA_SIZE and additional RAM control structures that were used to maintain the state for the connected task. In Oracle 9i, the PGA region has been replaced by a new RAM region inside the Oracle SGA as specified by the PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET parameter

Because all RAM memory usage is now handled completely within the Oracle SGA, the Oracle database administrator can fully allocate the Oracle server's RAM memory, up to 80 percent of the total RAM on the Oracle server. Oracle recommends that 20 percent of the RAM memory on a database server be reserved for operating system tasks.

As users connect to the Oracle9i database, RAM for their sort work areas are allocated within the PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET region of Oracle9i. This allows Oracle9i perform far faster than Oracle8i because the memory is only allocated in used for the duration of the session upon which is immediately freed up to become available for use by other connected Oracle tasks
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #90822 is a reply to message #90794] Thu, 27 January 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Art Metzer

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 23:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i - Answer here [message #90825 is a reply to message #90499] Wed, 02 February 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prasanna
Oracle 9i is an upgrade version of Oracle.It offers lot of new and additional features, which are not available in oracle 8i.It offers, new features to both
developers and administrators.Oracle 9i is the obvious choice.

Differences Between Debugging on Oracle8i or Oracle9i Release 1 and Oracle9i Release 2 DatabasesThe main differences between debugging on the Oracle8i Release 8.1.7 or Oracle9i Release 1 databases and debugging on the Oracle9i Release 2 database are as follows

Debugging Java stored procedures is supported in the Oracle9i Release 2 database only.

For Oracle8i or Oracle9i Release 1 databases, scalar data types such as NUMBER and VARCHAR2 are displayed as a single, nonexpandable entry in the Data and Watches window. For Oracle9i Release 2 databases, all data types (including scalars) are shown as expandable entries.
For Oracle8i or Oracle9i Release 1 databases, limited access to composite data types is provided. See "Known Issues" below for more information.
For Oracle8i or Oracle9i Release 1 databases, the Tracing Classes and Packages to Include and the Tracing Classes and Packages to Exclude entries, which are specified in Project | Project Settings - Debugger, are not used.
Known IssuesThe following are issues encountered when debugging against an Oracle8i or Oracle9i Release 1 database. These are limitations of the older API and will not be fixed.

Composite data typesThe JDeveloper data-related windows including the Data window, the Watches window, and the Inspector windows can display variables which are scalar types such as NUMBER, VARCHAR2, and the like. Other more complex types are also displayed including:

CURSOR
The value displayed will show the flags, rowcount, and knlflags.
RECORD
The debugger cannot display an entire record. However, you can enter an expression in the Watches or Inspector windows to see a given field in the record. For example, my_rec.my_field.
TABLE of
The debugger displays a folder (similar to how it displays an array in Java stored procedures). The user can expand the folder to see the elements. The user can right-click the folder and choose Adjust Range to enter the range of indexes that should be displayed when the folder is expanded. The default range is 1...100. The more indexes in the range (even if the elements for those indexes don't exist in the table), the longer it will take to expand the folder.
TABLE of
The debugger displays a folder (similar to how it displays an array in Java stored procedures). If the user expands the folder, the debugger may not be able to display the elements. This includes tables of tables.

8i introduced a number of features in SQL that could not be used in PL/SQL. Since we went to 9.2 it's been great to be able to use MERGE INTO, CASE and analytic functions within PL/SQL packages.
A lot of little things are improved in PL/SQL, such as CAST now being implicit in many situations when you used to have to code FROM TABLE(CAST(table_expression AS some_array_type) - you can now use FROM TABLE(table_expression). Also INDEX BY collections (associative arrays) can now INDEX BY other types besides BINARY_INTEGER (e.g. PLS_INTEGER, VARCHAR2).

In 9i you can use locally managed tablespaces for every tablespace including temp, rollback and system, while in 8i you were limited to regular data/index tablespaces. You also get automated undo management which is worth taking a look at (for example you can configure it to hold onto rollback blocks for longer, which could potentially help reduce ORA-01555 Snapshot Too Old errors).
Re: Difference between oracle8i and SQL [message #90826 is a reply to message #90510] Wed, 02 February 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thirugnanam
oracle 8i meaneing plz? tell me sir
different between the "i" is meaning and SQL waht purpuse structer qurey lang is SQL

by
thirugnanam
Re: Difference between oracle8i and SQL [message #90827 is a reply to message #90826] Wed, 02 February 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William Robertson
The "i" was a marketing label associated with releases 8.1 to 9.2. It's supposed to mean 'Internet' (perhaps due to the new Java features). Perhaps they also hoped it would make you think of fast cars.

I don't understand your question about SQL. Are you asking what it is used for?
Re: Difference between oracle8i and oracle9i [message #115344 is a reply to message #90499] Sat, 09 April 2005 22:27 Go to previous message
kolluri_sridhar
Hi!
Here are the differences between oracle 8i and 9i.
What ever i know i am giving it here.Please check once again.

1)ROWID in Oracle8i is different from Oracle9i.
2)Instead of triggers is not present in oracle8i where is it is an added advantage in 9i.
3)We cannot drop a column in atable in Oracle8i where as this is possible in 9i.
4)Snapshot views are not present in 8i where as it is present in 9i.
Regards,
Sridhar
Previous Topic: Tutorial and Manual
Next Topic: Primary tables
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:22:58 CDT 2024