Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » Datwarehouse
Datwarehouse [message #93065] Wed, 04 December 2002 19:02 Go to next message
murli
Hi Gurus
I am new to datawarehouse.Can you please let me know what is ETL in Datawarehouse means.I have worked on discover.What actually Datawatehouse means.what type of a tool it is.I have downloaded 9i warehouse builder from net.Does it consists of ETL.Please let me know.
Regards
Re: Datwarehouse [message #93068 is a reply to message #93065] Tue, 10 December 2002 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikeZ
ETL means Extracting, Transforming the raw data from sources and Loading it into the Data warehouse
Re: Datwarehouse [message #93078 is a reply to message #93065] Fri, 20 December 2002 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vishwakumar
Hi
Let me highlight you the basics of ETL.

DATAWAREHOUSE IS NOT A TOOL IT IS A CONCEPT !!!!!.

E -Extraction - This process is involved in the extraction of source data to your destination from any source system(legacy, text files or csv files....).

T - Transformation - Though the data is just extracted into your destination the data has to be transformed and cleansed so that meaningful and validated reaches
the end user.

L - The transformed into the final warehouse or database(in technical terms) ansd the reports are created from this final destination

A simple process flow would be as follows:

SOurce -----> STaging Area -----> Final DWH

DWH -DataWareHouse

Let me know if you would need any other information.
Re: Datwarehouse [message #93157 is a reply to message #93068] Thu, 24 April 2003 06:52 Go to previous message
Lars Olof Sjöström
And transforming can be of several flavors. Cleaning the data from errors and make them the same format are two flavors.
Previous Topic: Error ORA-00600 in OWB
Next Topic: Multiple data files in 1 external table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:03:27 CDT 2024