Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » Difference between OLAP and DSS
Difference between OLAP and DSS [message #93072] Wed, 11 December 2002 04:44 Go to next message
Quester
Hi,

I am new to Data Warehousing. Can anyone tell me the essential difference between OLAP and DSS?

Many thanks in advance...
Re: Difference between OLAP and DSS [message #93073 is a reply to message #93072] Fri, 13 December 2002 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey
i thk u gotta speak to urself buddy, no one out here on this earth to answer a fundamental Q on DW on a DW message board. where have i landed, is this shahara desert or the middle of phoenix arizona .. what a deserted world

.. i could a couple of mirages too .. (!!@@#$* going bonkers )

.. what a waste of time and energy .. save the autorities and adminsitrators of the board .. god pray rain here ..

glee
Re: Difference between OLAP and DSS [message #93075 is a reply to message #93072] Mon, 16 December 2002 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billyboy
O, this is so much fun(Rolling and Laughing Out Loudly). Surely, I've never visited a thread which is as hilarious as this
Re: Difference between OLAP and DSS [message #93099 is a reply to message #93072] Sat, 18 January 2003 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmmmmmmmm
hhhhaaaaaaaa
Re: Difference between OLAP and DSS [message #93108 is a reply to message #93072] Tue, 21 January 2003 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Calder
When I first started using Express in 1988, we always used to talk about DSS. Then it seemed to go out of fashion, and OLAP suddenly seemed to replace it in about 1994 (or so). I think the two are somewhat synonomous, though with a different emphasis. I prefer DSS because it says more about the end objectives of what you are trying to achieve, ie. make better decisions by being better informed. And OLAP assumes you are going to do this "on-line". Well I see no problems with writing programs that take a long time to run because they are trawling through lots of data, as long as they come up with useful information!
Cheers.
Re: Difference between OLAP and DSS [message #93121 is a reply to message #93072] Tue, 18 February 2003 12:02 Go to previous message
anjan saikia
OLAP==> Dimensional Modeling starts with the context of OLAP. OLAP is a complementary to DW and ODS.
There are two variations of OLAP. MOLAP (multidimensional) provides analysis capability on data stored within a specialized multidimensional database system/mdbs and are optimized for rapid analysis across different dimensions of generally Numeric data. ROLAP ( relational ) applies analysis tools to data stored within a relational db. ROLAP processing may be applied to the DW or ODS

DSS ==> an example of DSS is a marketing tool that determines the buying patterns of consumers based on information collected from demographic studies. The demographic data is assembled and entered into the system, and the marketing staff queries these datas to determine which items sells best in which locations.
DSS must process a variety of queries that sort thousands of records from many sources. Here, db performance is defined in terms of response time.

Hope this will help
__ anjan
Previous Topic: oracle express
Next Topic: Data Mart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:28:37 CDT 2024