Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » star transformation
star transformation [message #93166] Sat, 17 May 2003 13:08 Go to next message
kochunni
An article on star query and star transformation says the following:

"Where the Star Query execution goes to the Fact table last in its execution, the Star Transformation Query goes to the Fact table first via bitmap indexes, then joins to the Dimension tables. This method does not limit the query to use an ordered composite index and doesn’t default to a Cartesian product joins of the dimensions. The bitmap
indexes reduce storage space requirements and provide flexibility for complex star schemas. This method is identified as a “transformation” because the CBO actually rewrites the query as a series of sub queries on the joining dimension tables."

My question is how will the CBO know which Bitmap index is to us if the query starts from Facts. My belief is a query always start from a dimension table, identify the unique identifier for the dimension attribute, then read the bitmap index on the fact table for that particular dimension key.

I may be wrong. Please tell me how CBO identify which Bitmap index to use without reading a dimension table first, because the bitmap on Fact table are created on each distinct value of dimension foreign keys.
Re: star transformation [message #93181 is a reply to message #93166] Sun, 22 June 2003 11:00 Go to previous message
Mike
You'r right it's not realy well explained.
Have a look at "Star Transformation with a Bitmap Index" at the following link, there you ll find a better explaination.

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_librar
y/release2/server.920/a96520/schemas.htm#11975
Previous Topic: Oracle Data Warehous Builder strange error message
Next Topic: Starting up Oracle Express raise error with code 40
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:52:44 CDT 2024