Home » Developer & Programmer » Precompilers, OCI & OCCI » Upgarding from OCI7X to OCI 9X
Upgarding from OCI7X to OCI 9X [message #94205] Wed, 12 May 2004 02:26 Go to next message
syoci
Hi Everybody

can anyone suggest me the best way that how to start coverting earlier 7x OCI calls into 9x.

Actually my earlier code is using all the header files as well API's of 7x , but as now revamping of system is needed so what i need is to convert all 7x oci in C++ code and change header files also to accomodate the new changes .

The platform which i m using is Solaris ,C++,Oracle

Please can anybody suggest me some good sites or help in this regard.

The major problem i m facing is that in earlier API's and new API's is parameter differnce. how to resolve it

Thanks & Regards

Syoci

Thanks

Syoci
Re: Upgarding from OCI7X to OCI 9X [message #94245 is a reply to message #94205] Fri, 04 June 2004 18:05 Go to previous message
Frank Scherie
Hello,

Please note that all the OCI7 calls are still
available in 10g to support backward compatibility.
Unfortunatly Oracle wrotes in Oracle 8 OCI Programmers Guide that OCI7 will sometimes in the future desupported - one indication is the ORA-3113 when conecting from SQL*Plus 9.2 and higher to Oracle 7.X server

Due to the Fact that OCI7 on the one side and OCI8 and higher on the other side are totally different I would suggest to migrate directly to 10g and use instead OCI the OCCI (Oracle C++ Call Interface) which encapsulates the OCI8/9/10 calls in some 30 classes and reduce code dramatically - seen factor 10 shorter. And if you really need OCI8/9/10 functions you can obtain server, context and other handles by invoking methods in Environemt Class of OCCI.

Think about it - C++ instead C - inlining instead ugly defines - short code (comparable to OCI7 complexity)

Frank Scherie
Senior Support Engineer
Previous Topic: Version of the proc Compiler
Next Topic: Pro*C on Sus 8.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:24:29 CDT 2024