Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Please Help! Oracle not available after fresh installation
Please Help! Oracle not available after fresh installation [message #97371] Tue, 02 April 2002 08:50 Go to next message
sheela
Hi,
I've been struggling with this error for a while. I've installed oracle 8.1.7 on solaris 8 (2.8). Planned to have only 1 database. Created all the appropriate users/groups and mounpoints and semaphore settings. I'm running the installation on 'typical settings'.
Listner configuration is automatically created by isntaller and successful. Everything is well, until the installer invokes the dbassistant to create the first database. The database I specified was called 'sunora'. the ORACLE_SID env variable and path are all set correct. Anyway, the dbassistant starts on the database creation job and copies all the files and when it is in 'initializing database' stage it fails with a 'Oracle not available error' and then couple of errors after several retries. This is what I get on the screen in sequence:

DAtabase creation progress

Creating and starting Oracle instance - done
Copying database files - done
initializing database - Started and error (ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE - Ignore, Abort)

(AFter ignoring several times)

ORA-27101:Shared memory realm does not exist. (Ignore, Abort)

After ignoring once

ORA-01012:not logged on

after ignoring couple of times

ORA-01034: Oracle not available

(AFter ignoring once)

ORA-27101:Shared memory realm does not exist. (Ignore, Abort)

-------

BTW, the listener is running fine. It also has a service runing for the database 'sunora'. I even saved the database creation script and tried to run it manually. The moment the script executes 'svrmgrl' and 'connect internal' and tries to issue the 'create database' command it immediately throws an 'oracle not available error'. What is wrong here? Where should I look to see if oracle is available and running. Help!

Following is the environment settings for oracle user:

DISPLAY=:0.0
DTAPPSEARCHPATH=/user/home/oracle/.dt/appmanager:/etc/dt/appconfig/appmanager/%L:/etc/dt/appconfig/appmanager/C:/usr/dt/appconfig/appmanager/%L:/usr/dt/appconfig/appmanager/C
DTDATABASESEARCHPATH=/user/home/oracle/.dt/types,/etc/dt/appconfig/types/%L,/etc/dt/appconfig/types/C,/usr/dt/appconfig/types/%L,/usr/dt/appconfig/types/C
DTHELPSEARCHPATH=/user/home/oracle/.dt/help/oracle-athena-0/%H:/user/home/oracle/.dt/help/oracle-athena-0/%H.sdl:/user/home/oracle/.dt/help/oracle-athena-0/%H.hv:/user/home/oracle/.dt/help/%H:/user/home/oracle/.dt/help/%H.sdl:/user/home/oracle/.dt/help/%H.hv:/etc/dt/appconfig/help/%L/%H:/etc/dt/appconfig/help/%L/%H.sdl:/etc/dt/appconfig/help/%L/%H.hv:/usr/dt/appconfig/help/%L/%H:/usr/dt/appconfig/help/%L/%H.sdl:/usr/dt/appconfig/help/%L/%H.hv:/usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/%H:/usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/%H.sdl:/usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/%H.hv
DTSCREENSAVERLIST=StartDtscreenSwarm StartDtscreenQix StartDtscreenFlame StartDtscreenHop StartDtscreenImage StartDtscreenLife StartDtscreenRotor StartDtscreenPyro StartDtscreenWorm StartDtscreenBlank
DTSOURCEPROFILE=true
DTUSERSESSION=oracle-athena-0
DTXSERVERLOCATION=local
EDITOR=/usr/dt/bin/dtpad
HOME=/user/home/oracle
IFS=

LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_COLLATE=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_MONETARY=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_TIME=en_US.ISO8859-1
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib:/usr/lib
LOGNAME=oracle
MAIL=/var/mail/oracle
MAILCHECK=600
MANPATH=/usr/dt/man:/usr/share/man
OPENWINHOME=/usr/openwin
OPTIND=1
ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle
ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7
ORACLE_SID=sunora
PATH=/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/bin:/usr/ucb:.
PS1=$
PS2=>
PWD=/user/home/oracle
SESSION_SVR=athena
SHELL=/bin/sh
SHLIB_PATH=/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib
TERM=dtterm
TERMINAL_EMULATOR=dtterm
TNS_ADMIN=/var/opt/oracle
TZ=US/Pacific
USER=oracle
WINDOWID=71303177
XMBINDDIR=/usr/dt/lib/bindings
XMICONBMSEARCHPATH=/user/home/oracle/.dt/icons/%B%M.bm:/user/home/oracle/.dt/icons/%B%M.pm:/user/home/oracle/.dt/icons/%B:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.bm:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.pm:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.bm:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.pm:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.bm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.pm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.bm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.pm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B
XMICONSEARCHPATH=/user/home/oracle/.dt/icons/%B%M.pm:/user/home/oracle/.dt/icons/%B%M.bm:/user/home/oracle/.dt/icons/%B:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.pm:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.bm:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.pm:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.bm:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.pm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.bm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.pm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.bm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B
_=/usr/dt/bin/sdt_shell
dtstart_sessionlogfile=/dev/null

swap space is : 1.5gigs.
semaphore settings are: (default oracle settings)

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
set semsys:seminfo_semopm=100
set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767

Thx
Paul
Re: Please Help! Oracle not available after fresh installation [message #97372 is a reply to message #97371] Tue, 02 April 2002 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Change your semiphore value (semmns) from 200 to 600 or 1000. The default is not enough.
Re: Please Help! Oracle not available after fresh installation [message #97374 is a reply to message #97371] Tue, 02 April 2002 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul
Thanks much. that was the problem.
I am still getting this problem Oracle Not available Memory realm does not exist [message #97481 is a reply to message #97371] Sun, 09 June 2002 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Imran
please let me know the exact solution of my subject.
Re: Please Help! Oracle not available after fresh installation [message #97531 is a reply to message #97371] Wed, 10 July 2002 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Miller
I would also like to note that lowering the number of processes in the pfile/init<sid>.ora file helps (when coming at it from the other direction; i.e. not raising the semaphore value). I used this formula from http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1151/sam0105b/0105b.htm

seminfo_semmns >2 X (("processes" value from step 1) + 10 X (number of Oracle instances)) + 15%

So if you cannot raise the semmns number immediately, just lower the num_procs with the "processes =" line in the .ora
Re: Please Help! Oracle not available after fresh installation [message #97582 is a reply to message #97371] Thu, 15 August 2002 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malai Adigal
Dear Mr Grant,
I was having same problem and your solution exactly fixed this problem.
Appreciated a lot.
Keep up your good work!

thanks,
Malai
Re: Please Help! Oracle not available after fresh installation [message #97789 is a reply to message #97371] Thu, 23 January 2003 23:53 Go to previous message
MUDDASIR
IAM IN THE DBA STUDIO OF 8.1.7 AND ABLE TO CREATE TABLE, ETC BUT NOT ABLE TO OPEN THE ANY OF THE INSTANCES IAM GETTING A MESSAGE ORACLE NOT AVAILABLE , PLZ HELP ME OUT
Previous Topic: sql at % prompt
Next Topic: copy files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:43:41 CDT 2024