Home » Infrastructure » Unix » CPU requirements for Oracle on Solaris.
CPU requirements for Oracle on Solaris. [message #98085] Fri, 30 January 2004 06:40 Go to next message
Larry Maslanka
We are in the process of retiring our main Oracle database server (a Sun E4500 with 6 UltraSparcII 336 MHz processors).  The new server is a Sunfire V880 with 2 UltraSparcIII 750 MHz processors.  My question is if I find CPU bottlenecks on the new server, what is the best way to increase CPU power?  Would it be better to exchange the 2 750 MHz processors with 1.2 GB processors or to add 2 more 750 MHz CPUs to the 2 that we have?  I don't want to get stronger CPUs and then find out that I'll need more of them.  Thanks.
Re: CPU requirements for Oracle on Solaris. [message #98086 is a reply to message #98085] Sat, 31 January 2004 08:13 Go to previous message
jj
I notice your primary server use is as an Oracle server. Please see:

http://www.oreview.com/9802hari.htm

The artical has a CPU bottleneck section that states,
<quote> Keep in mind that the improvement gains achieved by adding CPUs diminish as more are installed. It is usually better to have faster CPUs rather than more CPUs.<unquote>

Given your scenario, I'm afraid it's 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. I personally like 4 or more CPU's simply to take advantage of Oracles' Parallel Processing capabilities.

I'm afraid there is no straight answer to your question. A bottleneck would need to exist with supporting stats to determine if more or faster would be appropriate.

If you intend to keep the V880 for some time, bear in mind that it's CPU max is 8. So starting with 2 1.2GHz processors gives you headroom without throwing anything away ( ie If you max out with 8 750's then you have to discard to replace ) - I'm not sure Sun offer a part exchange ;-)

Hope this helps
Previous Topic: monitoring oracle database tables from korn shell script and sending e-mail
Next Topic: Directories in Unix reg. Oracle Financial Applications
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:35:01 CDT 2024