Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » New to RAC, have question re failover, pls help!!!
icon5.gif  New to RAC, have question re failover, pls help!!! [message #119519] Fri, 13 May 2005 02:08 Go to next message
orafaq_bluefish
Hello Oracle gorus,

I just started an RAC installation few days ago and have some basic questions and appreciate any help:

It seems I successfully instaned the RAC db and two instances on two nodes. I can connect by each instances or connect by service_name via any instances. However the failover seems not working. Below is what I did:

1. verified both oracm and GSD are running.
2. connect to the db use service_name and verified the coonection is over instance1 on node1.
3. shutdown node1 try to find out if I'm still connecting to the db, ie, if the failed node failover the the 2nd node, but received 'not connect to oracle...'. So am i doing the right thing? also, tried to stop instance1 by "srvctl stop instance -d dbname -i instance1", the connection also lost. So another question is if the failover should also work on the instance instance level.

below is the lsnrctl status from both nodes, and tnsnames on the client.

Please any help very be appreciated.

Julia.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=scsgetlddb01)(PORT=1521)))
STATUS of the LISTENER
------------------------
Alias LISTENER
Version TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 9.2.0.6.0 - Production
Start Date 12-MAY-2005 21:08:11
Uptime 0 days 4 hr. 46 min. 52 sec
Trace Level off
Security OFF
SNMP OFF
Listener Parameter File /u01/oradba/product/9.2.0.6/network/admin/listener.ora
Listener Log File /u01/oradba/product/9.2.0.6/network/log/listener.log
Listening Endpoints Summary...
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=tstnode1.useast.com)(PORT=1521)))
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC)))
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=tstnode1.useast.com)(PORT=8080))(Presentation=HTTP)(Session=RAW))
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=tstnode1.useast.com)(PORT=2100))(Presentation=FTP)(Session=RAW))
Services Summary...
Service "D439" has 2 instance(s).
Instance "D4391", status READY, has 2 handler(s) for this service...
Instance "D4392", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "D4391" has 1 instance(s).
Instance "D4391", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "D439XDB.bankofamerica.com" has 2 instance(s).
Instance "D4391", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Instance "D4392", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
The command completed successfully

----------------------------------------------
tnsnames.ora

D439.world=
(DESCRIPTION=
(LOAD_BALANCE=on)
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=tstnode1.useast.com) (PORT=1521))
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=tstnode2.useast.com)(PORT=1521))
(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=D439))
)

Re: New to RAC, have question re failover, pls help!!! [message #119677 is a reply to message #119519] Fri, 13 May 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

To enable fail-over, you need to configure Oracle's Transparent Application Failover (TAF) feature. This is done by adding a FAILOVER_MODE parameter to the CONNECT_DATA section of your TNS Connect Descriptor.

TAF is documented in the "Net Services Administrator's Guide" although one would expect to find it in the RAC manuals.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: New to RAC, have question re failover, pls help!!! [message #119705 is a reply to message #119519] Fri, 13 May 2005 18:40 Go to previous message
orafaq_bluefish
Thank you very much Frank. It helped a lot. After implemented your suggestion, the two instance failed over to each other perfectly, ie. connect over one instance and stop that instance by srvctl, the conection failed over to the other one. However I'm have a new problem with the node failover. When shutdown the node that the current session is connect over, it did not failover to the other node/instance. Even worse I can not even make a new coonection even the other node/instance is up and running. The new connection got 'timed out'. Further more, when I bring the down mode back up, I can make new connections over the alive node/instance even before anything such as oracm,gsd, listener get started on the just up node.

Could you pls throw more light on this issue. Appreciate all your help.

Julia.
Previous Topic: RAC & Redo logs
Next Topic: CRS installation/PRIF-10: failed to initialize the cluster registry
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:34:19 CDT 2024