Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Looking for guidance
icon1.gif  Looking for guidance [message #120945] Tue, 24 May 2005 22:08 Go to next message
vanandan2001
Sir/Madam,

I am a Software Engineer working in .NET platform with SQL Server 2000 as backend since 2001. I am quiet familiar of writing SQL Scripts (Procedures, Triggers and SQL Server DTS since it is my work). I am planning to change my career in near to future. I am so keen to learn Oracle 11i Apps, which has always-good job market. I think that Oracle 11i is a vast area. So I would like to clarify the following regarding Oracle 11i Apps.

1) What is pre-requisite qualification to learn Oracle 11i Apps and which module is suitable to me since I don't have any accounting background (CRM,HRMS,Sales,Financials....)?

2) Suggest me the best place to learn the course at Chennai.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Anandan
Re: Looking for guidance [message #121047 is a reply to message #120945] Wed, 25 May 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Corey
1) The pre-requisite you are asking about, I believe you already possess. Having a technical background will help you out immensely as you attempt to learn Applications. The biggest pre-req is not anything related to Oracle. It is having patience and being humble. Oracle apps will humble the most intelligent man if he has no patience. It is a long process to learn it. The documentation is ESSENTIAL to read and probably more than one time (and there is a TON of it!)

The modules I would learn about are the basics for any business:

Purchasing/Procurement
Payables
Receivables
Grants Accounting (you do not need a CPA to be able to use this module)
Human Resources (w/ payroll extension)
Order Management

Those are the big ones but there are also hundreds of smaller add-in modules, but these are the core apps.

As far as recommending a training course, I am sorry I cannot help there, I am in the US =\

HTH,
Steve
Re: Looking for guidance [message #121120 is a reply to message #121047] Thu, 26 May 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adragnes
I agree with Steve that having a technical background is immensely helpful when setting out to learn the Oracle E-Business Suite. In EBS the most important thing is the data model. Oracle has put a lot of effort into it.

Since you are technically inclined and do not have any accounting experience I think you will probably be working in a more technical capacity, at least to begin with. The good thing about this is that you by just learning a few things will be able to work with a wide set of applications and gather functional experience as you go along. Nothing is like learning by doing. Just make sure that you take some time to read the functional documentation as you go along. Many technical people often show too little interest in this and their myopia really limits their usefulness.

Before you start a good understanding of SQL in Oracle and PL/SQL will help you. There are many subtle and not-so-subtle differences between Oracle and SQL Server.

Then you should probably start with learning the Application Object Library which is the application dealing with security, batch control and other cross-cutting concerns in the EBS.

Then you will probably want to know how to do the technical tasks within EBS such as
  • reports - SQL*Plus, Oracle Reports, Oracle Discoverer
  • interfaces - interface tables, E-Commerce Gateway, XML Gateway, Business Event System
  • conversion - pretty similar to interfaces really
  • extensions - forms personalisation, CUSTOM Library, creating new custom Oracle Forms, self-service web application personalisation
  • workflow - Oracle Workflow

If you want to learn a functional area I would probably start with learning Oracle Financials - this is the oldest and most widely used part of the suite:
  • General Ledger
  • Accounts Payable
  • Accounts Receivable
  • Cash Management
  • Assets

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Re: Looking for guidance [message #122763 is a reply to message #121120] Wed, 08 June 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saurs
can any1 pls let me know if there is a good institue frm where i can oracle apps .. or frm where can i get the gud documentation on oracle apps,, so that i can read and learn by myself
Re: Looking for guidance [message #130251 is a reply to message #122763] Fri, 29 July 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
syedashfaq2

Here is the online documentation link for EBS.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/applications.html

Happy Learning

Rgds,
Syed Ashfaq
Re: Looking for guidance [message #131681 is a reply to message #130251] Mon, 08 August 2005 23:56 Go to previous message
vikrant_rai

Hi,

I have a friend in chennai who is doing apps course from pune. i can recommend you places in pune, it is imp. to have D2K knowledge before u start with apps. you can learn D2K forms & Reports if you have D2K 5i / 6i. If u need the basic material for learning forms & rep. pm me wth ur email addr. If u already know D2K, u can opt to do the course in apps.

i dont know if recommending institutes is allowed on this forum, so u can pm me wth ur email add. if ur intrested for places in pune.

regds,
Vikrant
Previous Topic: A book for a newbie to learn Financial11
Next Topic: Apps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:52:30 CDT 2024