Home » Developer & Programmer » Precompilers, OCI & OCCI » how to read hard disk serial number
how to read hard disk serial number [message #133444] Fri, 19 August 2005 02:02 Go to next message
toufiq_raja

i want to read hard disk serial number
i want to protect my software so that it may not run on any other machine

how to achieve the task
regards
Re: how to read hard disk serial number [message #134494 is a reply to message #133444] Thu, 25 August 2005 04:45 Go to previous message
Michael Hartley

Bad idea.

In a production environment there's nothing worse than software that is locked to specific hardware.

Applications that are locked to system IP addresses, NIC mac addresses, hard disk serial numbers cause so much trouble. What happens to the production environment if the machine is moved to another subnet, if the Network card breaks, or the hard disk needs upgrading or replacing? These are all daily events in large production environments. You lock your software onto a machine and you sofware will be thrown away - I can guarentee it!

I would recommend you use a serial key unlocking mechanism that is based on the software owner. Take a look at ultraedit programmers editor for a reasonably fair and well considered (in my opinion) example of serial keys in action.

Kind regards
Michael Hartley
http://www.openfieldsolutions.co.uk
Previous Topic: Sending a package name as a parameter in Pro C using some other means than Dynamic SQL
Next Topic: [Oci8 C] OCIDate & OCIBindByName problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:04:10 CDT 2024