Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Oracle10g+Linux+DRBD+Heartbeat Failover cluster: What hostname to provide to Oracle?
icon5.gif  Oracle10g+Linux+DRBD+Heartbeat Failover cluster: What hostname to provide to Oracle? [message #145462] Thu, 03 November 2005 05:09
IgorSolo
Hello!

I am building simple two-nodes failover cluster for Oracle 10g database based on DRBD and HeartBeat. DRBD is Distributed Replicated Block Device (network RAID-1) which keeps disks where Oracle stores it's data in synchronous state on both cluster nodes. So when the first node fails, the second can run Oracle database with actual data. And HeartBeat is a cluster manager.

Each node has its own hast name and IP-address. And there is one cluster IP-address (and a hostname) which is dynamically assigned to active cluster node. So the rest of the world will access database through (single and permanent) cluster IP.

And I need to know whether Oracle sensitive to host name changes (during cluster failover)? Will Oracle installed with one hostname work normally when it changes?

If not, what is the best way to provide cluster host name for oracle during installation and running? Should I set-up environment variables for oracle user or set host name to cluster address when takeover occurs (and set back when going passive) or to alter /bin/hostname command to return cluster hostname when asked by oracle user?

Thanks.
Previous Topic: script to import all dump files from one schemas
Next Topic: install unix oralce
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 09:18:41 CDT 2024