Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » send email
send email [message #149672] Fri, 02 December 2005 16:47 Go to next message
satchin
hi all
i have to write a trigger which should send emails to the employees on their birthdays. how do i do it??. does anyone have the script for the trigger.. any help appreciated

thanx
satchin

[Updated on: Fri, 02 December 2005 16:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: send email [message #149700 is a reply to message #149672] Sat, 03 December 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adragnes
Satchin,

You could use Oracle Alerts to do this. Oracle Alerts is a part of the E-Business Suite and allows you to define event and periodic alerts. You will want the latter. Basically you'll create a SQL statement that queries the PER_ALL_PEOPLE_F table for any active employees with a birthday today and then configure Oracle Alerts to send each of these an email congratulating them.

Instead of Oracle Alerts you could use Oracle Workflow to send a notification to the employee. In that case you would need to create a concurrent program that will run every night to find the employees with a birthday and raising a new custom business event, say xx.oracle.apps.per.event.employee.birthday, and then use the Business Event Manager to set up a subscription to the business event that sends the notification. Depending on you version of EBS you might need to define a workflow to do the actual sending of the notification.

There is also a third alternative, you could use the UTL_MAIL package to send the email directly from your concurrent program.

If you do not know Oracle Workflow and you do not have the time or wish to learn it, I would recommend using Oracle Alerts.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Re: send email [message #150191 is a reply to message #149672] Tue, 06 December 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satchin
hi adragnes

does that mean i dont have to use any trigger. if i have to use a trigger how do i go abt it??.
hope this is a reasonable question

thanx
satchin
Re: send email [message #150323 is a reply to message #150191] Wed, 07 December 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adragnes
Satchin,

No, you do not need to create any database triggers.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Re: send email [message #150394 is a reply to message #150323] Wed, 07 December 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satchin
hi adragnes
i have read somewhere " created triggers to send out emails on a specific date every month mentioning the status of the project ". how is the above stated done. can u explaing that with an example.
i have a second question. when two users are running two different concurrent programs for two different purposes at the sametime but the tables which are affected are same, what happens then?? is it right that the table/tables are locked and the program doesnt run. whats the solution for it if the tables are locked. any workaround??

thanx
satchin
Re: send email [message #150399 is a reply to message #150394] Wed, 07 December 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mchittib
Answer to ur 2nd question:
while defining concurrent program say that it is incompatable with the other one.
thus ur making sure that u cant run them at the same time.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2005 14:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: send email [message #150486 is a reply to message #150394] Thu, 08 December 2005 02:26 Go to previous message
adragnes
Satchin,

A trigger is an event that precipates other events. This is not what you are looking for. What you want is something that is periodic, every day, and not event based. In Oracle Alerts you would define a periodic alert for this. Please, take a look at the manual. Read the two first chapters and I think you will agree that it will do the job.

In my first reply I also outlined two alternatives. Both involve running concurrent programs daily to either launch a workflow to send a notification with the greetings or using a database package to send it directly from PL/SQL.

None of these involve you creating a database trigger, though the workflow alternative could involve you raising a "birthday event" in the concurrent program that will trigger a workflow.

What alternative to choose depends on among other things which of these mailers have been set up.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Previous Topic: Re: Jobs in Oracle Financials - Functional area
Next Topic: Hierarchies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 09:10:29 CDT 2024