Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » help on oracle assets
help on oracle assets [message #149814] Mon, 05 December 2005 02:25 Go to next message
jxhembulla
hi eveerybody,

I'm new on assets so I need to know just a few things:

1.is it possible to add some fields (undefined number of fields) to asset description , lets say that i have some special fields to add and some of these fields will be required.

2.the other question would be if it is possible to have a user-rights hierarchy based on objects, lets say that user A will only hava data entry rights to some forms, read-rights to some other forms and maybe no rights to some other forms. can this be done

3.is it possible to "exchange data" between Assets and a home made application which can generate "data files" in common formats (ex: csv) and which can import data through these files.

4.do i need any other oracle product to generate user reports or i can just use the standard reports. If i can generate such reports, can i "save" them as templates so other people can use them.

Regards
juli
Re: help on oracle assets [message #149874 is a reply to message #149814] Mon, 05 December 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adragnes
Juli,

You seem to be completely new not only to Oracle Assets, but also to the Oracle E-Business Suite. I urge you to take some time reading the Oracle Applications Concepts manual for a general technical overview of the Oracle E-Business Suite. Judging from my response below you have hours of fun reading the manuals ahead of you. Wink

jxhembulla wrote on Mon, 05 December 2005 09:25

1. is it possible to add some fields (undefined number of fields) to asset description , lets say that i have some special fields to add and some of these fields will be required.

Yes, in most forms there are descriptive flexfields which you can configure to capture data that is specific to your site. See the Oracle Applications Flexfields Guide manual for details on flexfields.

Quote:

2.the other question would be if it is possible to have a user-rights hierarchy based on objects, lets say that user A will only hava data entry rights to some forms, read-rights to some other forms and maybe no rights to some other forms. can this be done

Yes, many forms have separate functions defined where one is read-only and the other allows you to create, and sometimes modify and delete records. You add the functions to a menu and the menu to a responsibility which you give the user access to.

See the Oracle Applications System Administrator's Guide - Security manual for details on this.

Quote:

3.is it possible to "exchange data" between Assets and a home made application which can generate "data files" in common formats (ex: csv) and which can import data through these files.

Yes, up to a point. Oracle Assets has an interface for adding new assets. It consists of some tables that you can load your data into using for instance SQL*Loader.

See the section on the Mass Additions interface in Chapter 2 Setup of the Oracle Assets User Guide manual. See Part II of the Utilities manual for details on SQL*Loader and Chapter 17 Coding Oracle Tools Concurrent Programs in the Oracle Applications Developer's Guide for how it is used in Oracle Applications. You might also want to investigate the Application Desktop Integrator which allows you to import assets from Microsoft Excel.

Quote:

4.do i need any other oracle product to generate user reports or i can just use the standard reports. If i can generate such reports, can i "save" them as templates so other people can use them.

You can create reports using for instance SQL Plus or Oracle Reports. The scripts and the reports definitions are stored on the application server and you define them as concurrent programs which can be accessed by users with appropriate responsibilities. Through XML Publisher, which is bundled with the Oracle E-Business Suite, you can take XML generated by any kind of concurrent program and put it into Word documents, spreadsheets or PDFs.

For dashboard style reports look into Daily Business Intelligence. For ad hoc reporting you might want to look into Oracle Discoverer.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Re: help on oracle assets [message #149877 is a reply to message #149814] Mon, 05 December 2005 08:54 Go to previous message
jxhembulla
thanx Aleksander,

it was really useful,

actually I am new at EBS, so I guess I have a lot more to learn, but the answers that you gave me were of great help.

juli
Previous Topic: FA issue - query needs
Next Topic: Difference between On-account Receipt and Unapplied Receipt?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 03:51:07 CDT 2024