Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Rollback
Rollback [message #157417] Thu, 02 February 2006 06:06 Go to next message
anil_apps

hi
is it possiblle to use ROllback in reports pl/sql code

thanks in advance

-anil
Re: Rollback [message #157458 is a reply to message #157417] Thu, 02 February 2006 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vban2000
Hi anil

yes.. very much possible.. you can do COMMIT, ROLLBACK, SAVEPOINT in pl/sql program unit.

regards
AnDy
Re: Rollback [message #157511 is a reply to message #157458] Thu, 02 February 2006 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anil_apps

Hi AnDy,
Thanks a lot,

i have seen a pl/sql program unit in Reports contained like this
EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS THEN
ROLLBACK;
srw.do_sql('ROLLBACK');
RETURN (FALSE);

END;

can u explain what is going on this exception. Why do we need to write srw.do_sql for commit,rollback,truncate,
Are we can directly write it...? or we have to use srw.do_sql pkg.

Regards
-anil

[Updated on: Thu, 02 February 2006 21:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Rollback [message #157528 is a reply to message #157417] Fri, 03 February 2006 00:50 Go to previous message
vban2000
Hi anil

see the extract below, as far as I can see (and I hope is correct), there is no difference between ROLLBACK; and
srw.do_sql('ROLLBACK'); So one statement is enough. (but again test it, and let us know..)

extracted from Report Builder Help
Quote:

SRW.DO_SQL built-in procedure

This procedure executes the specified SQL statement from within Reports Builder. The SQL statement can be DDL (statements that define data), or DML (statements that manipulate data). DML statements are usually faster when they are in PL/SQL, instead of in SRW.DO_SQL. Since you cannot perform DDL statements in PL/SQL, the SRW.DO_SQL packaged procedure is especially useful for performing them within Reports Builder, instead of via a user exit. For more information on DDL or DML statements, see the Oracle9i Server SQL Language Reference Manual

Writing DML statements in PL/SQL is faster than an SRW.DO_SQL call containing the same statement. The reason to use SRW.DO_SQL for DML statements is that it can concatenate bind parameters to construct the DML statement. For example, you can have SRW.DO_SQL create a table whose name is determined by a parameter entered on the runtime parameter form: SRW.DO_SQL ('CREATE TABLE' || :tname || '(ACOUNT NUMBERNOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, COMP NUMBER (10,2))');

Hope this helps..

Regards
AnDy
Previous Topic: Frequent Error while opening discoverer
Next Topic: Export Discoverer Report to Excel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 28 16:00:15 CDT 2024