Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Nested Aggregate Function not allowed
Nested Aggregate Function not allowed [message #169423] Wed, 26 April 2006 14:53 Go to next message
jillian724
Disclaimer: I am not a programmer/DBA, so, please be easy on me.

I am trying to query a db to get the highest recruiting status for a candidate but there is not an underlying table that assigns a number to each status . To work around this, I want to create a decode to assign a number for each status in order of our process. Example:

(statusorder)
DECODE(Status,"Resume","1","Interview","2","Offer","3","Hired","4")

Then I want to do a MAX on this decode. MAX(statusorder)

I am getting the nested aggregate function not allowed message.

Could I workaround this by requesting a separate view be set up in the same business area to contain statusorder and statusorderMAX? Or would the dba run into the same nested aggregate not allowed error? I like to try to know as much information up front before bugging our dba. Thanks!
Re: Nested Aggregate Function not allowed [message #169544 is a reply to message #169423] Thu, 27 April 2006 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Hi Jillian,

Could you explain in more detail what your selection is? Because while trying to reproduce your problem, I found out that the following calculation on employees (standard demo table in Oracle) works fine:
MAX(DECODE(Job Id,'ST_MAN','1','ST_CLERK','2','PU_CLERK','3','4'))

So, obviously, I'm missing something in your story. Oh and what version of Discoverer are you working with?

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Nested Aggregate Function not allowed [message #169595 is a reply to message #169544] Thu, 27 April 2006 12:31 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Discoverer? I thought it was about Report Builder Embarassed

Never mind ... although you haven't provided actual query, I guess this is a query that won't work:
SELECT c.name, 
       MAX(DECODE(c.status, 'resume', 1, 'interview', 2, 'offer', 3, 'hired', 4)) status
FROM CANDIDATES c
GROUP BY c.name
ORDER BY 1, 2;
If MAX and DECODE won't work together, perhaps something like this will:
SELECT b.name, MAX(b.status) status
FROM (
      SELECT c.name, 
	       DECODE(c.status, 'resume', 1, 'interview', 2, 'offer', 3, 'hired', 4) status
      FROM CANDIDATES c
	 ) b
GROUP BY b.name
ORDER BY 1, 2;
Previous Topic: Bursting
Next Topic: Rep-0999 Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 02:37:58 CDT 2024