Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus
Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus [message #201400] Sat, 04 November 2006 00:35 Go to next message
binjvdw
Hi all!

I have an existing workbook in which I want to add an item. I open the Edit Worksheet dialog, on the Select Items tab. On the left, the source folder seems to be available but when I click on the little + to expand the folder, nothing happens and it won't open. Other folders in the business area can expand successfully.

I then tried to add the entire folder by right click, Add to to Worksheet. This results in an error:
"Model manipulation via stale object. Server writes and pass through read can only be made on objects attached to the model instance of oracle.disco.model.corbaserver.FolderImpl made stale: removed during merge in oracle.disco.model.corbaserver.EULImpl"

Now I can't edit any workbook based on this particular folder! How do I fix this?

[Updated on: Sat, 04 November 2006 00:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus [message #201512 is a reply to message #201400] Sun, 05 November 2006 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Hi Binjvdw,

First some basics: have you ever been able to select from this folder? Anything changed since then? Can you create a new workbook and use the items from that folder then?

If you can't use the items at all, then check the status of this folder in the Administrator edition. I would check two things: check "validate folder" to see if the underlying database object is still in place, valid, etc. and if that's ok, then select the folder and choose "refresh", to see if something has changed since the creation of the folder.

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus [message #201644 is a reply to message #201512] Mon, 06 November 2006 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
binjvdw
Hi Sabine,

Thank you for your reply. Answers to your questions:

1. Yes, I was able to select from this folder before. I have several existing workbooks using this folder
2. Yes, two things happened. A patch was applied to the database and secondly, after I started getting this error, I deleted a Business Area that was a duplicate of the one currently giving the problems.
3. Yes, I can create a new workbook form this folder without any problems.
4. I did refresh the folder before and after I deleted the duplicate BA. Both times there were no differences found

I hope this helps!
Re: Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus [message #201704 is a reply to message #201644] Mon, 06 November 2006 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
It looks as if the database patch has something to do with it. Since you mention you've removed a duplicate BA after the error occured for the first time, that can't have anything to do with it, right?

It seems like strange behavior that Discoverer would be effected by a database patch (I've never seen something like that), but it's the only possibility I guess. Did you discuss this with your DBA? Can you get the details of the database patch to find out if this can (in any way) have an effect on Discoverer?

Regards,
Sabine

PS you mention that you can build a new workbook on the folder. Can you rebuild the workbooks that are giving problems now? If so, at least you have a work-around!

[Updated on: Mon, 06 November 2006 07:47]

Re: Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus [message #201710 is a reply to message #201704] Mon, 06 November 2006 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
binjvdw
Hi Sabine,

Patch #3668164 was applied for ORA-1483 occuring in Disco Plus.

Regarding the duplicate folder, it existed but wasn't used at all. Deleting it and checking the impact, returned only one LOV built on one of the items. I checked that the LOV wasn't used anywhere before I deleted it.

Yes, I suppose I can rebuilt the workbooks (about 20 of them...!)but I would really like to figure out why this happened so I can prevent it from happening again.

Thank you for your time!

Edited to say: I just noticed something else. This particular troublesome folder is shared by another BA. The folder gives no problems at all in this second BA. I can edit existing reports built on the folder in the second BA but I can't do that on the same folder in the first BA. How can that be?

[Updated on: Mon, 06 November 2006 08:53]

Re: Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus [message #201724 is a reply to message #201710] Mon, 06 November 2006 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Ok, let's forget about the removing of a duplicate BA, that has nothing to do with it.

I've looked up the patchnumber, but the one I've found on Metalink has nothing to do with an ORA-1483 and/or Discoverer. Are you sure the patchnumber is correct?

Anyway, the next thing to do is look up the notes for that patch and figure out what has gone wrong. Maybe some specific functionality you used in this folder and/or workbooks? If so, revert to the status before the installation of the patch, try to remove the use of this functionality and than again install the patch and check the result.

Besided, you might want to raise a call at Metalink, it sounds like a bug in the patch.

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus [message #201736 is a reply to message #201724] Mon, 06 November 2006 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
binjvdw
We had an absolute torrid time with ORA1483 occuring in Disco Plus and resulting in users not being able to save to the database after that. Originally patch #4488715 was applied but it didn't fix the problem. After that #3668164 was applied after I guided the DBA to http://learndiscoverer.blogspot.com/2006/06/unable-to-save-workbook-to-database.html. Since the second patch was applied, ORA1483 hasn't reared its ugly head. I'll check with the DBA on the patch # - looks like he must've got the patch and the bug nrs mixed up.

Apart from patches and errors, how is it possible to use a shared folder successfully from one BA but not from another BA?

[Updated on: Mon, 06 November 2006 09:46]

Re: Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus [message #201751 is a reply to message #201736] Mon, 06 November 2006 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Only just a moment ago, I noticed you've updated the previous post, where you mention that the same folder can be used without a problem in the other BA where it is shown. This is getting really weird!
(but, hey, here is your workaround: work from the other BA! problem solved! Wink)

I would raise a TAR (service request, nowadays) at Metalink if I were you. I'm running out of ideas... sorry!

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus [message #201758 is a reply to message #201751] Mon, 06 November 2006 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
binjvdw
Weird, very weird, and very very frustrating! Just as we got the one bug fixed, the next bug pops up.

The second BA does not have the same folders as the first, in fact, it shares only that one folder so it wouldn't make sense to do the workbooks from the second BA. And a TAR would take way too long, the users are waiting very anxiously for some changes to those reports.

Looks like I will have to do an all-nighter and recreate all the workbooks...uhg!

Thanks very much for you quick responses, Sabine! At least now I know what to do.
Re: Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus [message #201857 is a reply to message #201758] Tue, 07 November 2006 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
binjvdw
Sabine,
I checked with he DBA and it is indeed the correct patch number. The first patch was for ora1483 and the second was for a more obscure database problem which seems to have fixed ora 1483.
Re: Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus [message #214619 is a reply to message #201857] Wed, 17 January 2007 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
car
Hi Im getting same error, did you ever get this error resolved? what was the fix if so?
Re: Can't select items from folder in Disco Plus [message #214764 is a reply to message #214619] Thu, 18 January 2007 00:20 Go to previous message
binjvdw
Hi there!

Yes, this error was fixed. In fact, it was fixed two days ago after a two and a half month struggle.

We logged a SR and a patch was eventually released which fixed it. You can find all the info here http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=439669&tstart=0. The patch info is in the middle of the third page. My SR nr was 5984535.993.

I hope you get it fixed soon as I know its most utterly frustrating!

[Updated on: Thu, 18 January 2007 00:21]

Previous Topic: Discoverer cannot handle B- and B+ value
Next Topic: Granting access to execute workbooks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 05:02:31 CDT 2024