Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Slow Discoverer Reports
Slow Discoverer Reports [message #213157] Tue, 09 January 2007 12:27 Go to next message
Anand Ramaswamy
Hi All,
I AM SORRY I HAVE POSTED THE SAME QUESTION UNDER EBUSINESS SUITE FORUM ALSO AS I WAS NOT SURE ABOUT THE RIGHT PLACE.
It is about 1 year after EBusiness Suite 11.5.10 implementation in our Organization.
After implementation there were lot of discoverer reports that were designed to be used.
The implementation team(external consultant) created views (Level 1) from Oracle base tables/views and created more views using Level 1 views and so on..

These views were used in Discoverer for showing the reports. Now since database has grown considerably, the reports designed has become too slow (Some of the reports take more than an hour to show).

I have no clue how to make it fast. Is there any particular approach that needs to be followed in this case? Can we index Oracle Tables (Ebusiness suite tables)?

Would appreciate some response for this.

Thanks in advance
qA
Re: Slow Discoverer Reports [message #213346 is a reply to message #213157] Wed, 10 January 2007 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Anand,

It's very hard to tell with the limited information you give in your post. But generally speaking: approach this the way you would approach any other perfomance issue. So, try to pin down the actual bottle necks and try to fix these.
BUT, with the limitation that you're not allowed to alter the tables and/or data of apps tables (so, no indexes etc.). The only option for indexes is creating function based indexes and specify the views in a way that they can benefit from these custom indexes (this makes sure that other -standard- apps code will use these custom indexes).

(hm, what is the plural for index? indices? indexes?... any native english speakers around??)

Some more general suggestions:
- check the EUL, are complex folders being used? if so, do they select more data than needed for the worksheet? if so, rewrite the worksheet to work only with "base" folders.
- investigate the possible use of materialized views on some strategic places in the whole view construction.
- tune the sql statements in the views that give the biggest performance issues.

That's about all I can suggest based on your post. If you have detected a specific bottleneck, put it on this forum and we'll be happy to help you to solve it.

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Slow Discoverer Reports [message #213367 is a reply to message #213346] Wed, 10 January 2007 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anand Ramaswamy
Thanks Sabine,
I am new to Discoverer. Can you tell me what you meant by complex folders?

Can you suggest some good URL to learn Discoverer?

Thanks
qA
Re: Slow Discoverer Reports [message #213394 is a reply to message #213367] Wed, 10 January 2007 10:02 Go to previous message
skooman
Anand,

You're new to Discoverer and they assign you to the task of improving the performance of it? Hm, interesting. I would say you're in for a big challenge, especially since it's on Apps, not the easiest environment to start with...

To learn Discoverer I would suggest to start with the documentation, and there are some tutorials on OTN as well. While you're at it, you can look up complex folders too:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/discoverer.html

Regards,
Sabine
Previous Topic: report
Next Topic: Parameterising a report based on user access
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 04:24:59 CDT 2024