Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Absolute Newbie
Absolute Newbie [message #216192] Thu, 25 January 2007 08:54 Go to next message
Btibert3
Hi Everyone,

By no means am I a database person; everything I have learned has been self taught for I have no formal training. We currently use Discoverer to extract information from our Oracle 10g warehouse. I have previously used other methods to create my reports, but am giving Discoverer a shot.

Where I am getting stuck is that I want to create, what I believe, is a basic table. I want my table to have the Year in the column (the data for the year is contained in my variable Year), and for my rows, I want a few variables (gender, race, etc.) I absolutely do not want my row variables embedded with each other, I simply want them stacked. For each row variable I want a total (it should be the same for each, of course). Finally, for the column, I want my counts by year, then next to it, I want the column % (60/40 M:F) for the year.

I have no idea how to do this. When I add additional variables to either the row or column, it wants to embed everything. Right now, as a way to get around this, I have created calculations for every category of the variables that I want, including the years. After getting halfway through, I realize that there probably is a good explanation of why it wants to embed everything and that column %'s are not capable.

Obviously any light you can shine on this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance,

~ Brock
Re: Absolute Newbie [message #216233 is a reply to message #216192] Thu, 25 January 2007 13:15 Go to previous message
skooman
To be honest, I can't figure out what you're trying to accomplish.

Maybe if you use an example with emp/dept data and illustrate what you want to see in a Discoverer worksheet, something like:

region dept name  avg age  # of emps
AA     aaa         43       15
       bbb         27       10
total                       25

We might be able to help you.

One suggestion, though: start here...
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/discoverer.html
Previous Topic: 10g Report Compiler - Does one exist?
Next Topic: Searching Text Query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 05:03:41 CDT 2024