Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Syntax error with ( ) parenthesis
Syntax error with ( ) parenthesis [message #224879] Thu, 15 March 2007 17:05 Go to next message
secchan20
Hi, I am trying to figure out how to make the Oracle Reports to recognize parenthesis as is. A user enters data through the Oracle Forms which calls a RDF file to print a letter. As a letter includes () parenthesis, the Reports gives me a syntax error. How could I have () printed as is?

Thanks in advance!
Sarah
Re: Syntax error with ( ) parenthesis [message #224884 is a reply to message #224879] Thu, 15 March 2007 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Are you sure parenthesis are the reason for the syntax error?

OK, user enters text into a form item. Is it a database item? If so, why wouldn't you select its value using report's query? If it is a parameter, it *must* be a character one (I guess so, as you mention parenthesis - those are characters, right?). So, I can't figure out how and why would a parameter cause a syntax error? Column values might be reason of numerous errors, but SYNTAX error? Never heard.
Re: Syntax error with ( ) parenthesis [message #224886 is a reply to message #224884] Thu, 15 March 2007 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
secchan20
Thanks for the reply. Actually, data with () are stored in database first, and then extracted and assigned to a variable in the Reports. When I was testing, I replaced () with <> and it worked without an error. There are several other parenthesis on the letter contents, but (I think) as they are hard-coded in the Reports, they don't cause an error. Only when data with () stored in database is assinged to a variable... Any idea?
Re: Syntax error with ( ) parenthesis [message #224889 is a reply to message #224879] Thu, 15 March 2007 18:33 Go to previous message
secchan20
Yes, parenthesise is the cause (not column values, "PFS-ICD 3rd Floor") because when () was replaced with <>, it worked. Also, text with () is a database item. I could replace () with <> as a solution, but I just like to know how to print as is.

In the form, Add_Parameter() is called to pass several database items into a parameter form because all items are extracted there and sometimes they are modified a bit to fit on the letter. So I don't want to query them in the Reports.

One (line#) of the parameters contains (), hard-coded in the form only when a value is "0000". Then it becomes "0000 (entire claim)", and this doesn't cause an error at all.
Previous Topic: XML publisher 6.5.2 MS word template builder fails
Next Topic: AR aging 4 bucket report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 05:19:37 CDT 2024