Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » ocfs2 remotely mount
ocfs2 remotely mount [message #225300] Mon, 19 March 2007 11:18 Go to next message
asidko
Hello,

I've just setted up the cluster filesystem ocfs2 on 2 computers. At this moment I'm however wondering what the purpose of this filesystem is. I can mount the ocfs2-partition locally, but I can't seem to find how to mount a partition remotely. How do mount a partition remotely?

I hoped that it would present all the storage in one mount-point, but this doesn't seem to be the case, is it? I was thinking that this system could be used with software-raid, but then the cluster needs to be aware of the raid (Depends maybe on how the cluster/system works)? So, raid doesn't seem to be possible. So, I'm looking how the system works ... How does the ocfs2-cluster work concerning storage-pools, ... ?

Thanks and greetings

--
Sincerely yours,
Andrew Sidko.
Re: ocfs2 remotely mount [message #226611 is a reply to message #225300] Sun, 25 March 2007 20:28 Go to previous message
jvalerio_ar
1. from scratch: WHAT IS OCFS2?

OCFS2 is the next generation of the Oracle Cluster File System for Linux. It is an extent based, POSIX compliant file system. Unlike the previous release (OCFS), OCFS2 is a general-purpose file system that can be used for shared Oracle home installations making management of Oracle Real Application Cluster (RAC) installations even easier.

More information in: http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/

In order OCFS2 works, you need a share storage, creates a raw share partition, share means that the partition must be visible to all the nodes (RW). Sometimes happens that the raw partitions are not "shared to RW", this means you will mount the partition only in the first node you try, others will fail.

2. What to you mean with mount remotely?

OCFS2 comes with its own stack and all the cluster services have been packaged in the o2cb system service. In order to work you need to configure it correctly, please refer to:

http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/dist/documentation/ocfs2_users_guide.pdf

After OCFS2 installation new commands are available like:

mkfs.ocfs2 (to format a new partition)

and mount a share partition is trivial:

mount -t ocfs2 /dev/sdf2 /u01

To finish you can add the partitions to the fstab file to mount the partitions automatically after boot:

/dev/sdf2 /u01 ocfs2 _netdev,datavolume,nointr 0 0
/dev/sdg2 /orahome ocfs2 _netdev 0 0

Please check my blog next week, jose-valerio.blogspot.com, I'll post a free OCFS2 training.

One more thing, OCFS2 uses a port to comunicate with other nodes, generally is the port 7777, this port must remain open in the firewall, if you have one.

Regards,

J

Previous Topic: RAC on IBM AIX 5.3
Next Topic: restore oracle 9.2.0.6 (RAC) for RMAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:00:46 CDT 2024